Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck breast temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck breast temp?

Anyone have advice on what temp to cook a duck breast, I have never had or cooked duck but just bought a small breast off wild forks,
    not sure if I should cook it like a medium steak or take it up to 170??? Thanks for advice

medium, maybe med rare. At well done.. ew.

Score the fat and sear fat side down for most of the time. Flip and finish on the lean side. Sauce.

Recipes ideas: https://www.seriouseats.com/search?q=duck+breast

Comment

Agree^. Treat duck breast like you would beef. Seems odd I know, but it works.

Comment

135°

Comment

You’ve already heard it … but same as good beef. Medium rare at most.

Comment

The one way duck breast is different than a steak is the fat layer. You don't want to cook them even time on each side, but render out the fat by going that side down first, then flip.

And remember, you can always cook it a bit more if it's TOO rare, but you can't uncook it, so err on the side of pulling a little early, slice into one end and check (I find it hard to accurately temp thin cuts).

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here