Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey thigh meatloaf internal temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey thigh meatloaf internal temp?

I always cook our turkey meatloaf (whether white meat, dark meat, or mixed) to 155 degrees and let it carryover to 165. Basically treating it like I do with whole turkey/chicken breasts. But should I be cooking dark meat ground turkey to 170-175 like I do with dark meat chicken/turkey parts? I'm thinking I should stick to 155, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

From a food safety point of view 155 with 165 carryover is fine. The main reason to cook dark meat higher is textural - it firms up a bit better at 175 vs 165.

Comment

rickgregory Thanks. Cooked the meatloaf to 175. Still very juicy (for turkey).

Comment

We use ground turkey over ground beef, cook it to 165*f.
        Glaze with 3-1 bbq sauce and honey.

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well we've just been using boring ketchup for the glaze, so now I'm definitely switching to bbq sauce and honey. Many thanks.

Your temps are fine. As your dark meat turkey is ground, the higher temps don't really apply, as you're not trying to soften connective tissue, etc. Hope this helps...

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here