Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Drumsticks with injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Drumsticks with injection

Hi. I have some friends coming over this weekend and I was planning on cooking up a bunch of drumsticks and I was thinking about going a little overboard with the prep. Here is the game plan. Please let me know if anything seems blatantly wrong.

Day before, clean drumsticks by pulling back the skin and trimming off the ligaments. (I like doing this. I hate chewing on a rubbery ligament) Replace skin, dry with paper towel, apply salt and place in fridge overnight. Next day, 1 hour before cook time, inject, then apply rub. (I know that injecting might be overboard. I am wondering if injecting will just negate any drying of the skin I have done overnight). Get grill going and cook 'em. I will be using a Weber Kettle with a Vortex. Cook time will be close to an hour, maybe hour fifteen. I will temp chicken with the thermapen and pull somewhere around 180 IT. I am thinking with the injection I can go a little high with the IT and still get juicy chicken. I know that I don't have to do all of this stuff to get great chicken, but I want to have some fun with some different techniques, just don't want to do anything that doesn't make sense. I have never really injected before so any tips would be great.

Thanks!

Sounds like a solid plan. You might think about injecting a few wet brining some and just doing the dry brine on the rest.....kind of a taste test. I would also recommend cracking the lid just ever so slightly to get that temp as high as possible...mine usually only take around 45 mins at 550+ degrees and I'll give them a light spray of oil the last 10-15 mins to really help crisp up that skin.

Comment

I don't inject dark meat. What are you injecting with? When I inject I always do it before dry bribing so the skin can dry.

Comment

• bpiela
        bpiela commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to inject with some Chicken Broth and a bit of Kosmos Moisture Magic. Would you inject the night before or would all of that liquid just eventually seep out overnight?

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Night before.

I’m with Ol texastweeter . No need to inject drums. Personally I think it’s a lot of over kill/prep.

Comment

Keep a log of a great recipe or a starting place to improve one tweak at a time.
        Works for me.

Comment

Legs done on the Vortex

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here