Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crispy Smoked Chicken Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crispy Smoked Chicken Skin

Went for a quick lunch to a small local BBQ joint this afternoon.
    Sunday lunch special is smoked chicken so I had to give it a try despite not caring so much for the texture of the skin.
    This place really surprised me with CRISP flavorful delicious skin.
    It surprised me to the point of speaking to the pitmaster hoping to get her secret.
    Simple explanation was smoke as usual.
    Right before serving sprinkle with rub one more time, and 20 seconds in the deep fryer..
    Is this a common method of crisping skin on smoked chicken? I have never experienced this texture on smoked poultry any where else.
    I will be using it going forward at home.
    Last edited by Debra; August 15, 2021, 01:51 PM.

That's how a lot of folks do smoked wings

Comment

Total OVERALL crispness is really achieved by frying. Less fatty areas can get crispy without frying.

Comment

Guess it helps to be in a full kitchen with a big old deep drier at your disposal. But give him full marks for thinking outside the box

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Deep skillet works, as well, fer us what ain't got no fryer...Hail, my Granny taught me that, Brother

Pan Fry dat yardbird, fer th finish, an Th Win!!!

I've come pretty close with re-seasoning, rubbing with oil then finishing over open flame on the Santa Maria grill. I use the same method with steaks and burgers as well.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Pics of the crispy skin on the steaks and burgers please. 😃

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL!!!

Another "trick" is a bit of baking powder.
        Regardless, make sure the skins are dry…wet skin just isn’t going to get crispy.

Comment

While you won’t get as much smoke, try smoke roasting indirect at 375. A Vortex on a Kettle works pretty well or indirect on a Kamado with the dome temp at 375 works well on wings. The cook will take about an hour. As others mentioned drying the chicken helps. Turn the chicken at about the half way point.
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; August 18, 2021, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            That is my method. I smoke roast at 300 then crank up the heat to 400 for the last 10 minutes. Watch it closely so it doesn't burn! It goes from nicely crisp to blackened burnt if you turn your back on it.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            The Vortex is a "Chicken Cookin’ Machine" in the WSCG. Even my mum will eat a bunch of wings cooked that way…and she generally avoids them. First time I ever saw her eat more than one was when they came off that combo…even my father was amazed. LOL

One of the local joints here has some really great smoked chicken wings, that are crispy, and I asked and found that to be their secret as well - they give them a dip in the deep fryer before sending them out to your table.

Aside from that, I've learned here on the Pit to just smoke my chicken at higher temps - say 325 to 350. I had quick indirect-cooking chicken years ago, as I didn't like the skin from smoking it the way I did pork on my offset. I still mostly grill chicken, but do know I can get good results with crisp skin if I run the smoker at 350. Still not as crisp as frying though...
          Last edited by jfmorris; August 18, 2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I've cooked chicken thighs indirectly on the Weber kettle and achieved crispy skin. But, if it sits too long before serving all that crispy skin gets rubbery and tough

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              yup I have had that happen

To me the best way to cook chicken parts is on a kettle with a Vortex. Perfect every time in under an hour.
            Last edited by Jfrosty27; August 18, 2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Although this was dredged in flour and cooked extremely hot, there was smoke involved. The chicken was very crispy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16292548640250.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	1079242

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16292548640251.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1079241

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris you definitely should. It's definitely a little lighter than fried and still delivers taste and crunch.

• Dan Deter
                Dan Deter commented
                Editing a comment
                Can you give a reference or write up on technique? I'm very curious...

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Dan Deter Sure, I'll make a new thread and stop hijacking this one.

Have to give that a try. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                One of the local joints here has some really great smoked chicken wings that are crispy, and I asked and found that to be their secret as well - they give them a dip in the deep fryer before sending them out to your table.

Aside from that, I've learned here on the Pit to just smoke my chicken at higher temps - say 325 to 350. I had quick indirect-cooking chicken years ago, as I didn't like the skin from smoking it the way I did pork on my offset. I still mostly grill chicken but do know I can get good results with crisp skin if I run the smoker at 350. Still not as crisp as frying, though...
                This is how I do mine. Whenever I cook a pork butt or a brisket at 225, I put a tray of split wings in a foil pan, sometimes with some barbecue rub other times with just salt and pepper, and let them go for the first hour to an hour and a half. Then I chill them for several hours or even freeze them. I give them a minute to a minute and a half deep fry at 375 (thaw first if frozen). Then I toss them in whatever sauce I want. They're delicious, and friends always love them.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a truly great idea, and something I'll have to do the next time I am smoking a butt or something. Wings for lunch, pork for dinner maybe.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here