Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a chicken thigh recipe for my Traeger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a chicken thigh recipe for my Traeger

I have a few pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I brined last night. Now I am looking for a recipe to use with my Traeger. I've cooked breasts several times and I can never get them moist. Mind you, they're not that bad, but nowhere near the level that I make my other meats.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Daba's BBQ; July 20, 2021, 06:48 AM.

What temp are you cooking your chicken? Thighs of course have a bit more fat and can handle a bit longer cook, if that's what you're looking to do. Me personally, I like to put my favorite chicken rub on thighs (Plowboy's Yardbird), stack them on a skewer and cook at 325-350F. When the internal is done, around 160F. I pull them off and chop up for sandwiches. It's a nice mix of crusty bits on the outside with the juicy tender pieces from the inside.

On occasion, I'll glaze with a sauce to help in the caramelization.

Comment

• Daba's BBQ
      Daba's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I plan on eating around 6 pm. So I was looking to fire it up at around 275 or thereabouts. I have about 5 pounds, so I can rub a few, glaze a few and experiment with the rest.

I just did some thighs on my Recteq last night. I would offer my advice but if you looked at SUWYC you saw might cook ended in disaster. 🙄🤦👎🤷‍♂️

Comment

BTW - I made an apricot bbq sauce, here is the recipe.

Ingredients
      • 1/2 tsp olive oil
      • 3 tbsp tomato paste
      • 1 tsp garlic powder
      • 1 tsp onion powder
      • 1 tsp sweet paprika
      • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
      • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
      • 1/2 cup water
      • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
      • 1 cup apricot jam
      • 2 tbsp honey
      • 1 tbsp molasses
      • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
      • 1 tbsp brown sugar
      • 1/2 tsp white ground pepper more or less for heat
      • 1 tsp salt
      Instructions
      • Add small amount of oil, tomato paste, garlic and onion powders, both kinds of paprika, and cumin to a small sauce pan and saute on medium heat for five minutes until spices are toasted and fragrant.
      • Stir in the water, apple cider vinegar, apricot jam, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and salt and pepper.
      • On medium high heat simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced by half and thickened.
      • Cool and store in an airtight container in fridge until ready to use.
      Notes
      • Use chunky or smooth apricot jam, and either leave pieces in, or puree once the sauce has simmered all the way.
      • Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
      • Adjust the pepper amount up or down depending on heat desired. Swapping for cayenne pepper will increase spiciness.
      • Will store for up to one month in fridge, covered.

Comment

I don’t make thighs so I don’t have a good recipe but I do sous vide all of my small cuts of meat now because it improves the results quite a bit. I’d recommend a Joule for next time as it is fun.

Comment

If your into a bit of spice try Jerking some chicken
          Theres also a Jerk bbq sauce for finishing
          Always a winner here
          Attached Files

Comment

My favorite thing to do these days with boneless skinless chicken thighs is chicken shawarma, using the recipe here:

This recipe is recreated from our friend Mike at Everyday BBQ. This is a great example of using our Slow 'N Sear® in the Slow ‘N Sear® Deluxe Kamado.

On a pellet cooker, I would just run the cook at 325 or 350 until the middle of the skewered meat reaches 165. Not sure you will get any char unless you have a way to sear on that pellet cooker, but this recipe is the bomb, especially served in pita or naan. I just carve it into chunks on the cutting board, and usually make it along side skewered veggies that I put on about 30 minutes into the cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5489 (2).jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1063588Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5501.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1063590Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5503 (1).jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	1063589Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5505 (1).jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1063587

Comment

• Daba's BBQ
              Daba's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              When can I come over?!

Looks great and I LOVE the recipe. Def have to try that one

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I will do that tonight with chicken breasts.

https://www.traeger.com/search?term=chicken thighs
            Take your pick and adapt. That is what I do on my Traeger.

Here is a recipe for Oven bake boneless, skinless chicken thighs. easy enough to my Traeger.

Be sure to tell us what and how your cook turns out.

Comment

• Daba's BBQ
              Daba's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              thank you so much

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here