Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rotisserie vs spatchcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rotisserie vs spatchcock

Is there really a difference in the final product

Spatchcocked normally cooks faster and that may have an impact of the crispness of the skin. If I'm cookin' a whole bird, I'm gonna spin it. To me, it's just better.

Comment

ugggg. that's what I thought. now i need the rotisserie. lol

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup!

There's a certain elegance to watching meat on a rotisserie.
      The fat oozing out and running around the skin as it rotates.
      Second favourite method to cooking on the COS.

Comment

Tough call for me. They both have their place for sure. But if I am eating a whole bird, I would probably spin it.

Comment

Spatchcocking gives you more area in which to season and to be affected by the grilling or smoking process. Roto chicken tends to be a little juicier. I love doing both.

Comment

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 here. I like both for different reasons.

Definitely different results between the two as noted by Troutman above. I like to spin the whole birds. Seem to be much juicier to me.

Comment

Another thought. However you cook dat bird, pull it at 158°. That is the actual temp where all the little nasties are killed instantly, and there will be some carry over rise too. Do make sure your thermometer is accurate though...

And that wil help with the juiciness too.

Comment

Vertical roast or hang. Or better yet, spatchcock and hang.

Comment

I use both methods.

My boss prefers spun chicken so it gets more attention when we are home where one of our grills has a rotisserie. At our camp, we are do not have a spinner, so spatchcock is the answer for a whole bird.

The self basting method produces great results in a little over an hour:

Click image for larger version  Name:	still.jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.5 KB ID:	1058038

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, I guess that settles it. Looking great!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here