Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock chicken suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock chicken suggestions...

I've had a spatchcock chicken dry brining overnight.

I'm curious what rubs you guys prefer. Simon and Garfunkle, Memphis Dust or...???

I'm going to serve it at 6:00ish tonight.

I go back and forth on this question all the time, I have tried both of those rubs on poultry... I learned that I am not sure what I like on chicken, so have been experimenting with my own rubs on chicken.

Right now I am at Garlic, Rosemary, Parsley, Dill, Lemon Zest, Black Pepper, Onion powder or flakes -- seems to work pretty good... I have been doing salt separately on everything, more control that way.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      smarkley .

Thanks for your suggestion. Your rub sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a go. I'll see what of those spices I have in my pantry.

I prefer rubs without sugar for poultry, skin crisps up nicely.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I like a crisp skin.

I like to dry brine/season with Tony Chachere's....

Comment

Doing a spatchcocked chicken as we speak. Here's what I did.
      Wet brined the whole bird in 1 Gal water, 1 C table salt, 1C sugar. Let it brine 2hrs in fridge.

Removed, drip dry few seconds, then place on plate covered in few layers papers towels, pat dry top well, turn over and pat dry bottom well.

Spray lightly with PAM on all surfaces and all nooks.

Light dusting garlic powder all around
      Fresh ground pepper all around
      Herbs De Provence all around

On kettle with Slow 'N Sear, half chimney well lit charcoal added. Chicken goes on when kettle is at or about 325, cook at avg temp of 340. One half fist sized apple wood chunk.

The salt and sweet from the brine with the savory spices on the (crispy) skin is magical.

Sometimes when we want bbq smoked chicken without sauce I'll use my rib rib, it's awesome too if I do say so.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Usually I dry brine too but last time I did this it was fantabulous. I'd say an average chicken would take closer to 90 min at 325. Cooking at 350ish they tend to get done in about 75-80 min. I usually use 4-6lb chickens. Breadhead

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm cooking it on my BGE so I'll figure on 72.5 minutes.😎

Thx Huskee.

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I wet brine my chicken too though I throw in pickling spices and typically go for 6 to 8 hours. For some reason my family just loves the flavor the pickling spices impart to the chicken. I'm not gonna argue with 'em 'cause I love chicken outta the PBC and will use ANY excuse to throw a couple of birds on!

I'm having tons of fun experimenting with Jerk but frankly that's a wet brine for me. Save a little for extra kick.

Comment

It's too late but I use the Pit Barrel AP rub, the S&G is too herby, I want to eat meat not potpourri.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto that. Pit Barrel AP rub under the skin, rubbed into the flesh. Then lightly sprinkled on the skin.

Kathryn

I used S&G on a couple of Cornish game hens a little while back and it was outstanding! Rotisserie cooked 'em on the Weber gasser. Haven't spatchcocked a bird yet; that'll be the next poultry experience.

Comment

Huskee, Curious about the brining time that you use. I use a little weaker Brine (1# salt=about 3/4 C table salt or 1C kosher per gallon) but brine at least eight hours but usually 12 on whole chickens. I've been doing it this way for many years and love the results but wonder if all the goodness is happening in the first few hours.

Comment

Last chicken I did I took someone at another forum's advice and used Montreal seasoning, which is pretty much salt, pepper, and garlic. It was pretty damn good.

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds a lot like Goya Adobo con Pimienta.

The cook is done. All went well. It took about 90 minutes, just like Huskee said it would. I used Simon and Garfunkel rub because I already had it mixed.

Thanks to all that offered other options. I'll try those next time.

I served it to my 68 year old neighbor and her husband. She said... I believe this is the best chicken dinner I've ever had.😋

I also baked a loaf of sourdough bread to serve with it.😎 You all know I love baking bread as much as I love BBQ.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure I really helped much, you did it all. I only wish I lived a little closer to CA so I could bum some of that bread off ya.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee .

All of us breadhead's bake much more bread than we could possibly eat. My family, friends and neighbors love it when I take them a loaf or 3 of bread. I bake about 50 loaves of bread per month. I'm always looking for people that like good bread.👍

• PappyBBQ
              PappyBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah HELLO! I work in El Segundo and would GLADLY drive down to Hermosa for some of that sourdough!! :-)

Nice Job... Handsome Bread!

Comment

Two beautiful products. Will you share your sourdough bread recipe?

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Deus. I fool around with bread baking, but I can see that I am a novice. You've shown me the path to my guru.

George

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                gcdmd .

The thread of teaching Steve Vojtek to make sourdough bread is very complete and instructional. Both Steve Vojtek and chudzikb baked beautiful loaves of sourdough bread using that thread.

Give it a go and if you have any questions feel free to ask me anything about bread making.

Take pictures!

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, wartface. I missed your comment earlier. I'm now in the process of nurturing "Ralph" along. I hoipe to try a loaf early in the week.

I considered naming my starter "Bubbles" but thought Ralph would be better.

George

Very Nice. I think I might try the sour dough bread sometime. You guys/gals/????, are giving me so many ideas from, Sous Vide, pizza, bread, dry and wet brining, to different kinds of meat it's hard to keep track and do it all. BUT, I love it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here