Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide marinating chicken. Cook in marinade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide marinating chicken. Cook in marinade?

We are doing some skinless chicken breasts that are marinating in a soy based liquid called Hoover Sauce for Loise, Miss.Are we ok to go ahead and cook the meat in the brining mixture? Understand the mixture would have to be discarded after they reached 154 degrees and cook down clean marinade fo a basting sauce when the sear starts. Thanks!

Yeah, you'll be fine. You don't need liquid in the SV though. But it wont hurt at all and might enhance the flavors.

Comment

You'll be fine - I would only caution against using an acidic marinade. Acids are usually in marinades to tenderize the meat but sous vide already more or less handles that part for you, using an acid based marinade can really over-do it. In that case, I'd either remove the acid from the marinade (if making it myself) or if using a store-bought marinade, I'd marinade, then remove from the marinade and re-pack without the marinade before cooking.

Comment

I would add a very small amount of the Hoover Sauce to the bag. Maybe like a tablespoon per breast, maybe less. Just enough to coat them.

The Hoover Sauce will not penetrate the chicken. That's now how SV works. It will coat the exterior, and dilute with some chicken protein juice. You could clarify that purge and reapply. It's been pasteurized by the cooking... Or, you could just apply more HS from the bottle before searing, if that's the plan. There's enough sugar in the HS that it should caramelize with proper finishing.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          2 things:
          1. Good to see you again.

2. If you put too much liquid in the bag would it be more poaching than SVing?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure there's a difference between poaching and sous vide with liquid, tbh. Poaching is generally very gentle cooking, same method of heat transfer.

If I sous vide with a bunch of oil in the bag, the product is very similar to confit, and confit is just poached in fat, so... Distinction without difference?

Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here