Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotch Bonnet Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotch Bonnet Peppers

I can't find these things anywhere around here. So I planted some and it won't be long that they will be ready for some Jerk chicken.
    Attached Files

Looking good and warm.....

Comment

I think I found your problem. You are living too close to the Arctic Circle!!!!!!!!!

Scotch Bonnet, also known as Boabs Bonnet, Scotty Bons, Bonney peppers, or Caribbean red peppers is a variety of chili pepper. Found mainly in the Caribbean islands, it is also in Guyana, the Maldives Islands and West Africa.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard I got 4 plants growing in two large flower pots and they are looking good

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Good deal. I'm gonna get a raised garden going next year.

Those suckers are pretty hot aren't they? I reference all of my heat to Buffalo Wild Wings flavors so I don't know.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        They say they are _John_. I don't know for sure if they are or not. I just want them for Jerk chicken. I will freeze a lot of them.

• Zman23
        Zman23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Scotch bonnets will be around the heat of a habanero, ~200,000 Scolville. I got one growing too. Bought mine already started since the season is too short in PA.

• Stevehtn
        Stevehtn commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles yes, scotch bonnets are pretty hot, but also have a sweeter, fruitier flavor than some of their more sinister relatives, and that tends to go very well with Caribbean style BBQ. If you're looking for even more heat, with a similar sweet citrusy flavor, scorpion peppers work quite well. A mix of the two would really add some depth of flavor (or depth you feel like your soul has sank to).

I grow those every year in my pepper garden (I plant over 30 varieties) Awesome for Jerk Chicken or any Jerk cooking really. I really love them in chill. Scorch them first then use them or freeze them. You will love them. These are among my favorites, my others are Bhut Jolokia, Chili de Arbol, Nu Mex Chinese New Year, Nu Mex Sandias, Takanotsume. I get all of these varieties from the New Mexico Chili Pepper Institute. Another one of my favorite hobbies.

Check these guys out. All proceeds go to furthering research at the University!!

Comment

Spinaker I know a few of those are crazy hot. I got some unknown kind at an asian grocer to put in a spicy chili recipe I was doing for a competition, it was so hot that I had to make another entire batch to add to it to take down the heat. Even after that the few who were brave enough to take a bite didn't take another.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          _John_ Oh yeah, there are so many varieties out there now it's crazy. you never know what your gonna pick up at those markets. And your chill gets even hotter by the day after all those peppers "get to know each other in the pot"

DWCowles You should keep those in direct sunlight as much as possible and water them ever other day. They will start kicking out peppers like crazy. I harvested 7.5 pounds of jalapeños the other day. Right now I'm getting about that much just in jalapeños every other week! The garden is really hitting its stride.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, how many plants? I have kids and a dog that aren't too smart so I can't put them anywhere they would get them. My daughter will seriously eat out of the trash or the ground outside.

_John_ I have over 200 pepper plants total, but as far as the jalapeños go, I've got 12 plants. They are really popping right now. Our soil here is amazing the black dirt here is 6 feet thick in places. I also use manure from my uncles hog farm to fertilize in the spring and that really gives them a great jump in the spring once I transplant them outside. I've got my garden totally fenced off to keep the hounds, coons, and whatever else out!! (including Children)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3782.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	103509
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Spinaker; August 18, 2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I sell them at some of our veggie stands around the Twin Cities. Most varieties sell really quick. I usually only sell them at select stands. Mostly where there are higher Hispanic and Indian populations. They love them. Especially the unique varieties that you can't get in the store.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I see a bunch of ATBs in that pic Spinaker

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful Peppers!!!

Are your jalapenos hot, Spinaker ? I grow them here in North Carolina, and they don't get the Scoville units up where I like them. I started growing habaneros this year to mix in with the jalapenos in a relish to kick up the heat a bit. I wonder why my jalapenos don't get the heat that they're supposed to... We live at 3800 ft altitude and have mostly mild summer days. I wonder if the hot sun is necessary--which we don't get a lot of. We get lots of sunshine, just not blazing hot/humid on the plants.

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Kathryn, yes mine are hot as heck! Not as hot as my other varieties but hot for Japlepenos. If your having trouble getting hot peppers, I would try to get them in an area with full sun or as much as possible. The more sun the better. And refrain from giving them Nitrogen rich fertilizer. Go for one higher in potassium and phosphorus. (0-5-5) or (0-15-15) something like that. And last but not least, cut back on the water. These plants are tough, evolved to take the heat and go with out agua. So if your still not getting heat out of them let them dehydrate a bit. Water when the leaves are a bit wilted. They can handle it. And it promotes the production of capsaicin, which is a defense mechanism and gives you your heat. Once you do water them they will perk right up, I promise. Also, the longer you leave the peppers on the plant the hotter they will Get. You will see black developing on the sides of the peppers. This is a good sign. Then they will actually go to reds and oranges, depending on variety.
          Last edited by Spinaker; August 18, 2015, 07:22 PM.

• Stevehtn
          Stevehtn commented
          Editing a comment
          What Spinaker said. Give them as much sunlight as possible, go sparing on the water, and generally peppers get hotter in lighter brown looking dirt, instead of darker, richer dirt, if that makes sense. Also, you can grind up peppers that are past their prime and mix it in with the soil. The plant will absorb some of the capsaicin from the dirt itself.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker , thanks so much for the tips! I will definitely follow them next year. We get a lot of rain here in the mountains, so the hot, dry conditions are not easy to mimic, but I will work on that. I'll also pay attention to the fertilizer. I just use Miracle Grow on all my plants and herbs.

Huskee, hmmmm, indeed. I haven't moved a bit since I first became a Pitmaster member. Just been sittin' here and smokin'.

Seriously though, Texas was once part of my life back in the day, though, but no longer.

Kathryn

These pics make me jealous, the arctic tundra on which I dwell does not allow me to grow nice peppers. Spinaker I love buying the random peppers at markets from people like yourself, always the best flavor. DWCowles I am looking forward to seeing how these (and the eventual jerk chicken) turn out.

Comment

It's nice to see people talking about my favorite food ingredient. Love me some insanely hot peppers and sauces.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here