Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Roaster Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Roaster Chicken

Wifey brought home a big "Roaster Chicken" from the market today. It is nearly 6 pounds, 5.7 to be exact. I'm thinking I gotta spatchcock this beast and go low and slow. Or should I consider doing it another way?

I've never seen a chicken this big. Spatchcock and dust with Simon & Garfunkel?

Thoughts?

I'm doing a 5lb yardbird today. Spatchcocked, dry-brining and will smoke-roast it hot for about 2 hours at 325 F or so

Comment

When I was gettin chicken from a farmer 7 + yrs ago they ranged 6 to 9 lbs. lotsa eatin & yes spatchcockin is the way.

Comment

bird that big could be treated as a turkey. i'd hang it in my PBC and make it delicious.

Comment

PBR Beer Can Chicken, perhaps, Always seems to cook well.
          I prefer to spatchcock. Tomorrow for Sunday dinner, I intend to spatchcock chicken, remove the breast bone, and rib bones.
          I saw that technique on youtube.

Comment

Spatchcock for sure. I don’t think low and slow is going to be your best bet. You could 2 zone roast it at 325f. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

I'm doing a large turkey breast and some chicken breasts on my Weber22 today. I plan on going the 2 zone route

Comment

• CosmicMiami
                CosmicMiami commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent. Just as I thought. Just wanted to get some opinions. Love this place. Will post some pics.

Thanks for all the replies.

Well here in illinois it's 38 degrees and raining. Cooking with the Weber today may be a challenge

Comment

Sounds like you got a stewing chicken. Old hens that don't lay as many eggs and are thus less profitable are butchered. It would be better for a soup or stew. However, if you do spatchcock and roast it, try cutting out the breast bone, ribs and wishbone. It will cook a bit faster but puts out nice breast slices.

Comment

Sometimes I get roasters that large, but by the time I get the bag of gizzards, heart, liver and neck out of it, the weight goes down. I smoke a bird like that the same way I do all poultry--hot and fast (350ish) after spatchcocking or splitting in half lengthwise, doing an overnight dry brine and adding some delicious rub. On to the PBC or WSCGC it goes.

You've got some good eats just ahead. Enjoy.

Kathryn

Comment

Personally, I would either cook it on rotisserie hot and fast or spatchcock and smoke at 325 - 375f.

Comment

I cook ones that size on the rotisserie all the time, so if you have that option...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here