Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Turkey questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Turkey questions

I am going to try the Ultimate turkey recipe on the WSM 22" this week end or next. I am going to cook two turkeys and quarter the turkey's. I will cook the thigh/leg quarters on the top rack and the quartered breasts/wings on the bottom rack. I did this a couple weeks ago with chickens and they came out awesome. I have 2 Maverick 732's so I can put 1 probe in the grommet for grill temp and one each for a thigh and a breast.

My question is where to put the gravy pan. Since the recommend technique is to use the water pan dry I was thinking of putting a grate from my weber kettle over the water pan and putting the gravy pan on the grate. Do you think this would work ok?. Would it be to close to the coals?

Thanks, Rick

I recommend you watch the new video by Meathead on cooking a turkey. He uses the WSM. I think that will answer your questions.

Comment

It kind of does. But I will have turkey on both racks so my question is will putting the gravy pan on a rack on the water bowl be too close to the coals or should it be ok.

Comment

Clean out the water bowl really good and put the gravy in there. But it MUST be clean. There will be some dripping of one bird on top of the other, so try to offset them as much as possible.

Comment

Oh, and watch the water bowl carefully! It could easily dry out and burn. Keep water on hand and add it when needed.

Comment

How about manipulating a foil pan to fit in the water bowl? That bowl is pretty big it can accommodate most foil pans.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Can work if it doesn't leak

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            Clean out the water bowl really good and put the gravy in there. But it MUST be clean. There will be some dripping of one bird on top of the other, so try to offset them as much as possible.
            My water bowl is really clean. It is always lined with foil when used. So I will combine your advice along with Ernest's advice as I have a nice big turkey sized aluminun pan that I can just set in water pan and shape accordingly. I just made a double batch of Simon and Garfunkel rub. Now to just go get the turkeys I saw yesterday at Sprouts. By smoking two I hope to have a nice turkey dinner the day of the smoke and I love turkey sandwiches so I will slice a breast or two on the slicer and vacuum seal everything and maybe pull the meat on a thigh or two for turkey tacos later.

I just love this site . I should take a before picture of me now. I am 6' 195#. By the time I finish trying all the great recipes here...........well I just don't know, but there just may be two of me in the future

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              gardenfish just as long you don't see more than two when you look in the mirror

• mackdaddy
              mackdaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Or talk to the other one if you see him or not. I have to get those voices out of my head. "Yes I heard you..."

Well turkey smoke got postponed till next weekend . So this weekend I will either try to copy the Last meal ribs I did last weekend or I will try the Vermont pig candy recipe as the temp control will be exactly the same. Will start a new thread Sunday with log and pics to see what happened .

Comment

• mackdaddy
              mackdaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              can't wait to see your post. Have fun.

Sorry, Its only 10am and the thermometer is reading 110°. Not in any food or the grill or smoker, just the outside temp. So as I sit here in the ac looking out at the smoker I believe thats as close as I will get to it today. I am staying inside. So far though I have made an awesome salsa from the garden and I baked some potatoes on the weber kettle friday so I just made some twice baked's.

I used the S+G rub in olive oil and used up some leftover ricotta cheese , blue cheese crumbles, salt and sour cream. I have a couple of rib-eyes and with the twice baked's I believe the wife is going to be very happy when she gets home from work today. So now to go through the site some more and find some more stuff to make indoors.

I may do the South Carolina mustard sauce again as the first batch is gone and it is soooooo good on pulled pork. It needs to me made in a double recipe though as it is like brewing your own beer, It gets better with age, but its so good that you eat or drink it all before its peak .

Have a great day, Rick

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here