Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings; whole or pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings; whole or pieces?

I have always cut off the wing tip, but I usually segment the other two joints. Tonight I did none of the above.
    Just wondered you all's preference; cook separately, tips, or no? To me, the tips are much more worthwhile as stock ingredients.
    What about sauce? I just sauced half of them, a basic butter and Frank's, but that makes a mess of my keyboard!
    Attached Files

I also remove the tips.

Comment

We always remove the tips and split the drums and flats. Have a house divided on favorites so it works out anyway.
      Sauce; we always cook with a dry rub and if someone wants to finish with a sauce, bowls are provided to toss and finish them off-back on the grill..

Comment

I leave whole unless I am short for chicken stock, then I cut of the tips.

Comment

I usually always cut off the tips. You don’t eat them anyway, it gives you more room on the grill and makes it a little easier to flip the wings without them.

Comment

I cut off tips since most feathers, if left behind, are on the tips.

Comment

Whole. Love to chew on those bits.

Comment

Always.... tips for stock. Spilt the wings 98.7% of the time.

Sauce... meh... I’m more of a grilled lemon, Evoo, kinda of guy. Otherwise my sauce is whatever is on hand and that’s always Frank’s, Cholula, Louisiana hot sause, tapitio, Valentina etc...

Comment

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  98.7%.........

My rule of thumb for all meats: why cook it if nobody is going to eat it?

Comment

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My pups would beg to differ. Um, well, correction -- no "would" about dat -- they DO beg!

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the rule still applies, IowaGirl. In your case there are some who love the wing tips, so there is no reason to toss them.

The local supermarket supplies them sans tips so no issue. Not a fan as there is little to nibble on anyway, good for stock though

Comment

I always cut off the tips and separate the other two pieces.

Comment

Yeah, me too. Tips off and separate the two pieces. Sauce is usually an afterthought so a lot of the time it’s a mix of sriracha and sweet baby Ray’s. I do like to put them back on after sauced for a quick burn.

Comment

I wish we could find whole wings down here anymore. Now, either drumettes or "party packs" that are cut-up wings without tips, but a lot more expensive packaged that way.

Comment

I cut off the tips and cook them whole. Dry rubbed only with sauces and dips on the side for those who want it. Man. Now I need to get some wings for today. 😋

Comment

I prefer to cook them whole. And I like to chew in the tips. Don’t judge me!🤣

Comment

• Panhead John
                            Panhead John commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I figgered you was one of them tip chewers Larry.

• bbqLuv
                            bbqLuv commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Agreed, +1

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here