Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Wing Shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Wing Shortage?

We have had a trend here in Central Ohio over the past two weeks. All the bars and restaurants in my area have greatly increased their chicken wing prices(+25% or more) and they have all stated it is because of a chicken wing shortage. Has this happened in your neck of the woods or are all my local wing places "Price Fixing" to charge us consumers more money?

Hmmmm. Wonder what wings they purchase. A fast food wing off a 4-weekish bird or a grocery store 7-weekish bird.

Comment

Chicken wings have always been short. Try the legs is you want something longer.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-10-21-16-11-1.png
Views:	275
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1015934

Comment

Whole wings are available any day of the week at my local grocery store for $2.99/lb. They go on sale for $1.99/lb about once a quarter. Pretty good sized wings to boot.

Comment

If they are in cahoots surely somebody could pull an OPEC and pump out some cheap wings.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Usedta live in Cahoots, but moved South...

Perhaps my failure, but they's still as many yardbirds as they's ever been, mebbe even more, aight?

Ain't no degreed mathematician, or nuthin, admittedly, but:

They still comes with 2 wings each, right???

I fails to see th *ookin problem...jus price gougin...

Comment

This sounds like a load of chicken sh.....poop!

Comment

I don't know if it is true at all, but I was in Winco grocery about a month ago and they didn't have any rotisserie chickens in the deli - I asked and they claimed due to chicken shortage.

Comment

Maybe some truth to it... https://www.usfoods.com/our-services...t/chicken.html

Comment

I have had trouble finding fresh wings these past few months. The only ones I have out outside of Costco are from Heritage Farms and organic. You know, the ones that inject all of their organic chicken parts with salt, chicken broth and other things which increases the weight by up to 15%. That alone is why I don't purchase organic chicken. Not only are they artificially increasing the weight and price, they are saying that organic chicken has no flavor.

Comment

The bride & I feasted on wings & charred corn tonight, no supply issues over these parts

Comment

Someone left the gate open and they flew the coup, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Comment

• gcdmd
                        gcdmd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Why did the chicken fly over the cuckoo's nest?

To get to the PBR, of course.

They wanted $3.15/lb for 40 lb boxes of jumbo wings at Restaurant Depot today in Minneapolis. Whole chickens for like $1.50/lb, so perhaps some truth to it.

Comment

• glitchy
                        glitchy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Meanwhile Prime tenderloin usually runs $20+ per pound. I’ve seen 2.99 to 3.99 chicken wings for 2-3 years. A lot more labor to split up wings and throw the tips away than bag a whole bird. Plus the whole supply/demand thing...if wing are what’s popular today, the price will bump up, when breasts and thighs are hot, they’ll go back down. Still fairly cheap eats for protein.

• glitchy
                        glitchy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Reread what I wrote and I did not meant to sound snarky, just saying all meat goes up and down...just seems it goes down less every time like everything else in this world. Will never be as cheap as it was on average a few years ago.

• blarsenlarsen
                        blarsenlarsen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No problem just was sharing local prices and that maybe the premium / shortage seems legit.

It’s a bit odd that there is effectively no price break for a bulk box. Most local stores sell 1 to 3 lb packages for $3/lb.

I don't know about a shortage, but of late I can only find what they are calling "party packs" - no whole wings. "party packs" have mostly the mid-wing portion, and a few drumettes, no wing tips. Prices are pretty high for these packs, ranging from $4.00-$5.00/lb.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here