Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

issue with a Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issue with a Turkey Breast

I’m smoking a turkey breast and it looks like it has hit a stall @150. This is the third one Ive done and the two before had no issues. Ive opened try WSM up from 250 to 325 and the temp has been has been stuck @ 150 for an hour. Is there a stall?

Maybe but... do you really want it that much more done? Maybe 165, I suppose. If you want to, I'd wrap that sucker to push it up a little but it's close to done as is.

Comment

That does seem odd on turkey, did you double check with instant read?

Comment

I’m eating it now and it’s fine. The only thing I can think of is that I injected it with a whole bottle of Cajun Buttter. the First one was a Butterball and the second one had Cajun Butter, but everyone thought I skimped on it a little. I went overboard with the injection this time and it stalled.

Tastes great just like I expected it would, just took 3 extra hours to cook.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the update.
          Not afraid of needles, ok to inject. Addiction to the affliction of the injection is not in question, but good for consumption.
          Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

I did get the bark that I was expecting, so that part went right! A little salty so I need to inject it and put the rub on sooner so it can sit and do its thing for a while.

Overall I’ll give it about 8.5, tastes like i wanted it to, but thats not right for everybody and being ready 3 hrs late isn’t good at all. Ill makes some tweeks to the process and try it again for Easter.

Comment

Those things need the 325-350 treatment from the get go.

Comment

I try to always cook turkey above 300, preferably 350 to 375. Never experienced a stall but I guess it is possible.

Comment

• TxF
              TxF commented
              Editing a comment
              I think 300 was the goal for Thanksgiving after my test Butterball. The record from the Fireboard says they were both done about 250 and I didn’t leave any notes. I do know the WSM won’t do 300 with the water in the pan so that will be empty the next time I try this.

If you have been at 150 internal for an hour you are way beyond safe.

Comment

Never seen a stall for a turkey breast - but I also pull 155. Also can't imagine having a breast take "3 hours longer than expected." How long was it on the smoker? Are you sure it was fully defrosted before cooking?

Comment

This happened to me, exact same scenario, I had never seen a turkey breast stall, but, it did. End product, quite frankly sucked. Now, I will pull after a reasonable amount of time, just never saw before. I made the wrong decision by keeping in there.

Comment

I mean, if something is stalling (really stalling) and it's close to the finished temp, pull it, stick it in a 400F oven for a few minutes. You don't take turkey much past 150 anyway (if you want to take it to 165, fine but that's 15 degrees, not like a brisket that can stall around 170 and still have 30 more degrees to go).

Don't get obsessed about having to stay on the smoker.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the problem and thanks to everyone else for the input. I'm smoking a turkey breast tomorrow; first one. I've done whole turkeys and chickens, but this is the first breast. Sounds like 325 - 350 cook temp is a good place to start. Butterball, no injection, hopefully no stall.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here