Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacques Pepin American Masters at Home Scrambled Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacques Pepin American Masters at Home Scrambled Eggs

Raining out this afternoon so I checked out American Masters at Home and found another Jacques Pepin video. I love his videos as they are simple, down home cooking.
    My favorite scrambled eggs in the world were in an airport hotel in Paris. I would never miss breakfast when crew changing through Paris because of the classic style scrambled eggs they served.
    Jacques is one of my culinary favorites. He doesn't put on airs and seems like a kind of guy you could st down to supper with and never be bored.
    Anyway I gave them a shot minus the garnishes and YES they were close to eating them in Paris.
    His video.

I love scrambled eggs any time of the day. I need to try making them this way asap. Thx!

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally different. Creamy and just delicious!
      Only way I intend to do them from now on.

I love those. They are so calming. He makes everything seem so simple. It’s just as easy to do it right as it is to do it wrong.

Comment

• Schwyy
      Schwyy commented
      Editing a comment
      I am in the same boat. I love how he shows you simple quick ways to feed yourself and your family.

Sorry, they don't looked cooked enough for me. Yes, I have traveled the world and have seen these at many breakfasts. Just not my style.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      give them a shot. They are definitely my favorite scrambled egg. I think it is the butter, cream, and constant stirring that gives them that creamy texture.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't get me wrong. We love watching him. Just need a little more time on the heat with his eggs.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      What kind of I ntrigues me about them is the completely diffetent taste they end up with compared to what I am used to with scrambled eggs. They are almost sweet tasting. Not is a sugary way but hard to describe. I'm not sure if It comes from the cr re am or being less cooked.

Watching his knife work and whisking technique was pretty cool. You learn so many little things by watching a professional and accomplished chef at work.

Comment

I’m thinking they’re a bit to undercooked for my liking.
      However I can definitely see how they would be very much enjoyed by many.
      Also like his techniques. Always good to learn.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Learnin is our Friend, Brotherman!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Undercooked? Then just cook em a little more, to yer preference.

It’s nice to watch masters who have technique.

I don’t, but I can handle making Kenjis food lab creamy scrambled eggs version, very similar, without messing it up. It is sort of designed to be foolproof. I can do those in a CI pan or even on a flattop outside.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Pepin's way isn't really high technique though. What I loved was the holding back of some egg to bring the temp down quickly and the pan shape.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        True the recipe is not high technique but watching a master do even simple things well is nice.

Kenji’s adds cold cream at the end for the same reason. Works great.

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        I just watched Kenji's, and truthfully it seems a little drawn out compared to Pepin's. I am an instant gratification type guy, and would have a hard time staying on track for that long.

If you haven't read his autobiography, "The Apprentice," you should. He is very impressive in many ways.

BTW, his wife, who is American, didn't like his scrambled eggs, either, when he introduced her to them.

Comment

It is amazing how you can take something as simple as scrambled eggs and with just a little technique make them something special.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          It surprises me also. But the result is outstanding. Just a few simple eggs, and I can make a meal of them on toast. I think that would be French classic combined with Flatlander redneck.
          Last edited by Cheef; September 29, 2020, 10:09 PM.

They’re a little runny for me, too, but the solution is easy. 30 more seconds and they’re perfect. They’ll still be velvety, but they won’t glisten.

Comment

I love Jacques. I got addicted to his show when I was in college and would rush home every day to watch. No internet back then, so I scribbled down his recipes and procedures with paper and pencil.

Comment

Thanks for this.

Comment

Jacques Pepin is the man. He was dean of the French Culinary Institute when I attended about 10 years ago. Got to meet him a few times, very down to earth and a calming presence. First time I met him he snuck up on me when we were learning how to write with chocolate in the pastry department, scared the hell out of me, but showed me how to do it.

One of my favorite recipes is his chicken gallantine/ballotine. Its surprisingly easy to pull off and is an absolute show stopper for guests

Comment

• RobertC
                RobertC commented
                Editing a comment
                I did that a couple of weeks ago, and I try to do a ballotine every couple of months to keep my hand in. Pay attention to how he places his hand and rotates when he's peeling the back of the bird down toward the oyster, how he switches hands to make the lollipop, and the position of his left hand when he inserts his two fingers on either side of the keel. Almost any other way you try it is harder. He's really a good teacher.

• Pobeque
                Pobeque commented
                Editing a comment
                He really is effortless when he cooks. His 2 books (amongst others), La Technique and La Methode are must haves in any collection. When I cooked professionally in some high end kitchens, all of the cooks owned these

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I watched that and laughed. He made it look easy enough even for me. I laughed cause I know I am going to try it

These are great scrambled eggs.

Scrambled eggs are one thing that I won't order at a breakfast place because I don't like hard eggs. Almost every plate of scrambled eggs I've eaten in my life (except the ones I make) have been overcooked.

Scrambled eggs aren't suppose to bounce when you cook them.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                I am with you on that. They always way over cook them. Gotta be creamy.

Too wet for me, but I front sear steaks instead of reverse sear. So what do I know .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here