Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg bites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egg bites

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200712_113236.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	879497Click image for larger version

Name:	20200712_113304.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	879495Click image for larger version

Name:	20200712_122248.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	879496 I recently had some souvide egg bites from starbucks and they were quite amazing! Thought i would try to make something similar so i read a couple copy cat recipes and threw these together with what i had on hand.
    Farm fresh eggs, cooked bacon, onion, parmesan and kraft singles.
    . They were very good , taste like a bite size egg casserole, but not anything like Starbucks egg bites. Not sure if the water did anything or not.
    Im going to work on tweaking these as there perfect for an on the go bite.
    Any thoughts , tips, advice to amp this up is encouraged! the bottom pan has water in it...

watching. What temp and how long?

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      I set the oven at 315 ferhinheight, after 30 min, the egg bites were at 175 degrees

Check out this link which uses SV for cooking but the recipe ideas might be useful https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homem...ide-egg-bites/

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats a great article and recipes

We fix these a lot just like you did. Try lining each muffin hole with thin bacon then pour the batter in....Yum!!

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonton wrappers also make a good liner

My wife make egg nests along the same lines
    Sprays muffin tin with Pam, cuts the crust off bead, stuffs the bread into each hole and adds the egg mixture
    Skies the limit on what goes in the mixture
    And bakes, bread gets a nice crust
    Find it best with a sharp old cheddar cheese in the mix

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that sounds hood.

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Egg nests, sounds great, ill have to try it!

I precook all veggies, especially onion, to mellow the flavors, reduce the water content, and minimize the onion crunch and pungency.

The biggest contributor to distinctive flavor is the bacon, ham, or sausage, followed closely by the cheese. A well seasoned breakfast sausage is my favorite in this type of dish for flavor as well as overall texture.

Sharp cheddar as recommended by smokin fool is good, as is smoked gouda. That said, I'll use any cheese in a pinch, although American is in a distant last place.

You can line the muffin cups with 4-6 layers of phyllo dough for a delicate crunchy crust but otherwise make the same recipe. Phyllo really dresses up this dish.

I gather you put the muffin tins into a pan with hot water to bake it so the egg doesn't overcook? Some recipes do this, others don't. Try it without, although watch it closely until you learn how long to bake it -- probably closer to 15-20 minutes at 350F / 180C. The center of the "bite" should be just set, which means it is very slightly jiggly, not set firm. If the egg puffs up, it's definitely overdone.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl Good point, I forgot to mention pre-cooking the veggies and meat(s) of choice.
      Have never used the water pan, will mention to my wife for the next batch
      Great idea

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to say the meat should be cooked as well as the veggies. In looking at the OPs photo, I'd guess the custard is a wee bit overcooked. It's hard to say for sure without seeing one in person, so I could be wrong. Whether a person uses a water bath or not, the eggs should be nicely set but still tender. That was a hard thing for me to learn over the years.

We make a couple varieties of those in our Instant Pot and they are awesome!

Comment

Well one issue is you didn’t sous vide them. You will never get the same texture cooking in an oven. I’ve done them sous vide and they come out with a very similar texture to the Starbucks one. Barring that, I’d probably lean towards cooking them in a ramekin in a water bath sort of like a cheesecake or in a pan of simmering water with a lid

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here