Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breakfast for dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast for dinner

Breakfast for dinner.....a loaded omelette

3 farm fresh eggs (see how yellow the omelette is)
    A hand full of spinach
    Jalapeno
    Mini sweet red pepper
    Mini sweet yellow pepper
    A little diced onion
    Some garlic
    Shredded cheese

Ghee in cast iron skillet, saute onions, then add peppers and garlic, season with salt and ancho chili powder. Set aside when the mess is tender and starting to brown.
    Same skillet, wilt the spinach. Set aside in a strainer. Why? Because watery spinach is an omelette killer.

Now to the eggs, ghee in a clean cast iron skillet. Medium low heat (eggs do not like high heat)
    Beat the eggs until well incorporated. Add to the skillet, let some of the eggs run under the set eggs then walk away. Let it cook gently, as the top starts to set season with salt, place a layer of cheese, then the peppers on one half of the egg. Then the strained spinach. Now fold the other half over. Slide it into a plate. Garnish with some of the peppers and spinach.
    Oh look! Ran into cooked bacon slices, chop em up,

Enjoy

Eggs are one of the greates foods on Earth, I love them on just about everything.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Scrambled eggs and rice is my favorite comfort food.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	78068 Awesome, do you raise your own eggs? I'm looking forward to it in about 5-6 months.

Comment

I didn't mind picking eggs, except for the snake infested places the chickens preferred to lay them. Lord knows why all those boxes were available.

I hated farm eggs, yolks were waaaaaaaaay too dark for me.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        I love farm eggs. I drive 30 miles to get some.

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        @jerodbroussard A few things factor into the making of an orange yolk: xanthophylls, omega-3 fatty acids, and meat. Xanthophylls are a class of carotenoids. Carotenoids are natural plant pigments found in many fruits and vegetables.
        According to Mother Earth News, which conducted its own egg analysis, and a more recent Pennsylvania State University study, pastured eggs contain higher levels of vitamins A, D and E; more beta-carotene; and more omega-3s.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Powersmoke_80 yeah, I took a poultry course with my Animal Science degree. It still didn't get my palate to agree. Plenty of those fat solubles et al. elsewhere. hahaha

We have 15 chickens, two ducks, two turkeys, five rabbits, four cats, and a huge dog. Lots of eggs, every day. Duck eggs are supposed to better nutritionally. No idea if that is true.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you keep up with feeding the rabbits? Those things can eat.

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        The rabbit's just eat some pellets. Not much at all. My son only covers the bottom of their dishes every morning. The rabbits are show animals (Netherland Dwarfes) and they have a weight limit so we keep an eye on their weight. Had one get DQ'd once for being an ounce over the limit. We go through 25 lbs. a month in food. We feed our chicken a 30% protein blend as they are also show animals.

I've seen the comparison and duck eggs are better than chicken eggs in every way. Creamiest scrambled eggs I've ever had were duck eggs.
      Last edited by Ernest; April 15, 2015, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Powersmoke_80 man I wish. We had our own chickens back in my younger days

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest, this is my first try at it and cant wait for breakfast for dinner with Smoked polish sausage and farm raised eggs

I do my omelettes on medium high heat, stirring them with the tines of the fork pressed against the pan while simultaneously shaking the pan back and forth. They're creamy as all get out.

I learned by following Jacques Pepin's video. I have probably watched that 50 times, it is so beautiful to watch his hands as he cooks. I prefer the classic omelette, but sometimes I make the country omelette. Both are wonderful.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Just watched that video. Interesting. Going to try those those techniques. I don't have gas to cook with but I will give it a shot

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          FLBuckeye, I have electric too, on my stove I set the dial between 8 and 9 for omelettes.

Mosca Jacques Pepin is the kitchen Bruce Lee. I can't tell you how many times I've stayed up late watching his videos

Comment

I do one thing different from him: I don't like my omelettes wet in the middle, so I give a one handed flip to the pan, hold it off the stove for about 10 seconds to set, and then finish as the video describes. That means stirring the classic omelette a bit more than he does in the video, maybe 10-15 seconds. Then flip, pause, fold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here