Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My quest for a filling, yet healthy breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My quest for a filling, yet healthy breakfast

Like many of you I am sure, I hate eating breakfast only to be hungry again mid-morning. Over the years I've tried many things....cereal with obscene amount of fiber, oatmeal, oat bran muffins, eggs and sausage, kolaches. (I even went down the frozen food thing for while and yes, most frozen food does taste like cardboard flavored with salt.)

It has been challenging to find something that I like doesn't take too long/intricate to make in the morning and is decently healthy.

I believe I have found something that is filling, tasty, and not too crazy to make. It's an egg english muffin with a Tex-Mex kick. Here's what I do:
    1. Set two of my electric stove burners to medium.
    2. Cut a whole wheat (I like the Thomas brand) english muffin in half and butter both sides. I use the Land O' Lakes canola/butter spread and try to keep it to about 1.5 tbl total.
    3. Take both halves of the muffin and lay butter side down in a cast iron skillet.
    4. Add a 1/4"-thick ring of poblano to the skillet. (Poblano rings are sliced each weekend for the week.)
    5. While the muffin and ring toasts, crack an egg (I use those Omega 3 eggs, again, trying to be healthy) into a small egg-skillet and mix briefly with a fork.
    6. Dash of salt and pepper to the egg. Put egg-skillet over the other burner.
    7. Flip poblano ring.
    8. When the egg sets decently well -- just a minute or two -- flip it.
    9. When the egg is set, take it off the burner, probably just another 30-45 seconds.
    10. Take the bottom half of the muffin and put it on a plate.
    11. Put the poblano ring on that muffin half.
    12. Add about a spoonful of pico (I buy mine store-made) into the ring.
    13. Place the cooked egg onto the poblano ring.
    14. Top the egg with a triangle (half a slice) of Monterey Jack cheese.
    15. Top with the other muffin half.

So there you go. It is extremely filling, decently healthy, and tastes pretty good, too. This plus a banana will keep me going until lunchtime.

Sounds dang danged delish, now I'm all kinda hungry!

Comment

It sounds good to me.

Comment

Sounds good, I’ll take 3 of them with coffee and juice please 👍

Comment

Where's the pic? If my mouth is watering from the description, what will happen when I see it? Try to dive into the screen?

Comment

Sounds amazing. I love poblano peppers. Now I am thinking of smoking the poblano rings before trying this.

Comment

I do something similar almost every morning, but wiil now add the poblano. Thanks!

Comment

sounds tasty!! I usually make a burrito with similar
                ingredients.

Comment

lol, I guess a picture would help! Here we go, from this morning!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3216.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	686372

Look at that melted cheese... and you can just barely see the poblano ring under the egg. Wow, just looking at that picture makes me want to eat one. Oh wait...I am eating one.

Comment

We us one of the rings you put in the skillet before you put your egg in. It helps keep the egg about the size of the muffin.

Comment

Originally posted by THE Humble Texan View Post
                      We us one of the rings you put in the skillet before you put your egg in. It helps keep the egg about the size of the muffin.
                      I've seen those. Here's what I use. Cutest skillet ever. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3217.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	686398

Comment

This sounds gooooooood!

Comment

Nice!
                          When we need a quick breakfast we do, one egg or a splash of egg white in large coffee mug mixed, 45 seconds covered in microwave on high. English muffin split and toasted. Assemble: muffin, egg, ketchup, cheese of choice, and slice of Canadian bacon topped with muffin.

Comment

Added the poblano to this morning's egg sandwich, tres bien!

Comment

For a second there, as I read your process, I thought you were going to use the poblano ring as the mold for the egg.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                                Mr. Bones commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thought th same thing...

• Michael_in_TX
                                Michael_in_TX commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If pobanos were twice their size, I would!

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here