Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gummy bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gummy bacon

This site has opened my eyes. I love smoking my own bacon. The down side I have is that it is really gummy when I cook it. It really sticks to the griddle or the pan. A residue forms, like shellac, when I cook it in cast iron on medium to medium high heat. I’ve tried other temps. Does anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Me too. I think next batch, I'm going to cut back on the sugar.

Comment

Too much sugar, not enough fat in the bacon, surface too hot, or a combo of those is my guess

Comment

There is a ton of sugar in the bacon. You need to fry it at low temps. Or, what I have found to be the best is too bake it. I throw a wire rack on a baking sheet, add the bacon to the rack and cook away. Use convection if that is available to you.

Medium-high with cast iron, is like high with a regular skillet as cast iron has much more heat retention than steel pans. Because of this higher retention of heat, you don't need as much fire to keep up. (Provided your skillet is thoroughly pre-heated)

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
          Oakgrovebacon commented
          Editing a comment
          Parchment paper on a baking sheet works great also

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          + 1

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree on the oven method. It always comes out great. Sometimes though, it’s not an option depending on what else is cooking.

Man, when I saw th title, I was super excited, hopin it was an announcement of a major new snack food from Haribo!

Best of luck with yer future bacon cooks, Brother!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Those were my sediments also, a new candy that ya can chaw on. Oh, well.

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to disappoint you both. 😀

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
        Man, when I saw th title, I was super excited, hopin it was an announcement of a major new snack food from Haribo!
        Like this? https://www.iburn.com/Gummy-Bacon-p/...acon-candy.htm

Comment

I also cook it in the oven, like Spinaker . However, I don't put it on a wire rack. I just cover my sheet pan with aluminum foil and cook it right on that. I cut my bacon thick, and usually cook @325 for about 25 minutes. Flip it halfway through.

Comment

I also bake on a rack. Iike the results with the C. I. Skillet. I don't make my own (yet) but get slab bacon. Thick cut and well smoked. Now, here is another method I use; Air Fryer. Yes I said it and I love my Air Fryer. Works especially well with thick cut bacon. However I get out standing results with anything that can be baked, roasted or fried. I've even done fried eggs with bacon and hash browns. Clean up is a breeze with whatever you cook
          Hey, here's a thought how about a seperated air fryer channel. JUST KIDDING.

Comment

I have dialed the sugar in my bacon brine way back. Actually, the sugar is gone, but when I want some sweet I use maple syrup. That makes a difference. The other thing, if you are going to fry it, you have to go at a much lower temperature than store bacon. But baking works much better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here