Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waffles: new ingredient, learned something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffles: new ingredient, learned something.

OK, I had never heard of diastatic malt powder until i read this recipe https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...easted-waffles

I ordered a bag of the stuff on amazon and made a double batch, letting the batter rest and RISE a full two hours. I had to cook them at a much higher heat than i cook my chocolate waffles (recipe follows). But THESE are my new go to waffle. I had some leftover that I reheated in the waffle iron. Crispy on the outside and yummy inside. Just amazing. I prefer them with sour cream and jam Norwegian style but any way is good.

Of course I also had to make my old standby which I served with honey cinnamon butter.

Dad’s waffle recipe.

1.5 cups all purpose flour
    0.5 cups cornstarch
    1 t baking soda
    1 t baking powder
    2 T sugar
    1 t kosher salt

2 cups milk (can use half buttermilk)
    1/3 cup canola
    1/3 cup melted butter, allowed to cool so as not to cook egg yolks.
    2 eggs separated. No yolk or shell in the albumen
    2 t vanilla

Butter, syrup or sour cream and jam for toppings

Mix dry ingredients. Mix together all wet ingredients EXCEPT egg whites. Keep those in the fridge and let the batter sit for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 200F to hold waffles if they aren’t going to be eaten immediately. Preheat waffle iron.

Add pinch of cream of tartar or arrowroot to egg whites and beat till stiff peaks form.

Fold beaten egg whites into batter and cook waffles.

T= tablespoon?

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be my assumption. If correct, then:

T = tablespoon = 15 ml.
      t = teaspoon = 5 ml.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It's an alternate US abbreviation as MBMorgan noted.

T = TBSP = Tablespoon = 15 ml
      t = TSP = Teaspoon = 5 ml

The Chef's Steps recipe sounds great.

Comment

Thanks! I had an amazing run in 2018 finding three vintage waffle irons in thrift stores & garage sales. I printed this recipe out and will give it a shot.
      Last edited by Larry Grover; December 28, 2018, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Sounds really good. If you use buttermilk do you increase the amount of baking soda?

Comment

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          No, should I?

Nice to see we banished that spammer who made a brief appearance here. I know I reported it but I am guessing we are all diligent to keep that slime off the forum!

Comment

That's pretty close to what I've always used (from my Mom and Grandmother). And I always multiply it by several times and freeze the leftover ones.

Comment

What are you people doing to me? Now, I want a waffle iron.
            I miss the Waffle House.
            Last edited by Carolyn; September 20, 2023, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Where is the chocolate in the original recipe?

Comment

• fracmeister
                fracmeister commented
                Editing a comment
                My apologies --- DIFFERENT RECIPE ENTIRELY but too long to do in a comment so I will post

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here