Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

The wife wanted this this morning. So I broke out my equipment and ingredients and went at it. Biscuits are really hard for some folks to make as is sausage gravy. They are easy to make once you understand the technique.

First the Biscuits Recipe;

This is basically an Alton Brown recipe and you can find it and videos at the FoodNetwork.com

I made a couple of small variations to it

Ingredients
    2 cups flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 cup buttermilk, chilled

​I doubled this recipe today so we would have some left over.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Cut your cold chilled butter into small pats and add to the flour

Using a pastry blender cut the butter into small pea size morsels in the flour

Add your buttermilk and mix it into the flour mixture. No extra mixing as your biswcfuits will be tough.

Flour your working surface, bring out the dough and dust the top[ with flour so you can work it.

I will continue in the next post

Pat your dough out to about 3/4"-1" thick

Get your biscuit cutter and a small spatula and cut out all the biscuits

My inside oven thermostat is not doing well so I baked the biscuits in my Rec Tec set at 450*F

Next post will be about the sausage gravy.

Comment

Sausage gravy is very easy to make once you have seen it done and understand the ingredients.

Ingredients;

1 lb sausage roll
      1/4 cp bacon drippings or oil
      1/3 cp all purpose flour
      3 cp milk
      Salt and Pepper to taste.

I take about 40% of the sausage roll and cut patties this time and cooked them off for breakfast another day. I then cut the remainder of the roll lengthwise in half and then quarters and fry on a medium heat.

This black plastic tool is great for dicing up the cooked sausage.

Brown on one side then the other.

dice well or if you like big chunks do it your way.

Empty diced sausage into a bowl

place your pan back on the burner and add your bacon drippings. I was out of BD so I used oil. After the oil is heated add the 1/3 cp of AP Flour and whisk it into the oil.

immediately add about 3/4 cp of the milk and whiisk the oil/flour mixture into the milk. If the mixture starts to thicken add a bit more of the milk and possibly turn down the burner some. The objective is to get a lump free mixture then add some more milk. You should have used about 2 cp of the milk.

You have to boil the mixture for the flour to thicken, or kick over.

Will finish in the next post hopefully.

Comment

Now add the diced sausage back into the boiling gravy

Sir mixture well

I like pepper in mine.

Stir mixture well again

turn off burner, cover, and let sit for about 30 min. It will thicken quite a bit more.

Se how it thickened.

Turn on the burner and add the last cup of milk

That's it Folks. I usually make the sausage gravy first and while it is sitting for the 30 min I will make the biscuits and get them in the oven and then go back and finish the gravy and they are all done about the same time.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done SOS with corned beef and cured pork loin for church breakfasts, and both were big hits. Of course, Meathead has great articles and recipes on curing meat on the general AmazingRibs.com site.

George
          Last edited by gcdmd; June 28, 2015, 12:41 PM.

Oh. My. Word. Fantastic!! That is one heckuva writeup Barry, you deserve an award! I love good biscuits and gravy! I love a good sausage gravy on top of crispy fried diced potatoes with cheddar cheese and/or scrambled eggs. I always have used Campbell's it's mighty tasty but I am sure there is zero comparison to homemade. It's 1040 and I have not eaten breakfast, rumbly tumbly after reading this.

Well done my friend! The is what The Pit is about!

Click image for larger version

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	48224

Comment

Wonderful! One of my favorite breakfasts!

Comment

Looks great, and the recipes gave me some ideas. Biscuits & Sausage Gravy is one of our daughter's and my favorite breakfasts to cook together. We order our flour from Pioneer in Texas. I make the sausage myself.

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
              Looks great, and the recipes gave me some ideas. Biscuits & Sausage Gravy is one of our daughter's and my favorite breakfasts to cook together. We order our flour from Pioneer in Texas. I make the sausage myself.
              I know what byou mean David. Sausage flavor is a very personal thing. I would like to make my own sausage and have tried in the past but, my choice of seasonings has been less than satisfactory. Maybe this year I will try again.

Comment

Looks great! Throw in a couple of runny eggs and you got a real triple play! Great write up - I make similar white gravy with the oil and crispings from frying beef cube steaks.

Comment

Just don't let that roux burn!!!
                  Last edited by HC in SC; January 4, 2015, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HC in SC View Post
                    Just don't let that rue burn!!!
                    absolutely. I developed this back when we lived in Charleston, SC in the late 70's. That is when I started baking bread, rolls, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                      immediately add about 3/4 cp of the milk and whiisk the oil/flour mixture into the milk. If the mixture starts to thicken add a bit more of the milk and possibly turn down the burner some. The objective is to get a lump free mixture then add some more milk. You should have used about 2 cp of the milk.
                      Excellent post! Thanks for the picks. Don't you cook your rue a bit to get rid of the raw starch flavor of the flour?

Comment

Yes, that is why you have to boil it to get the flour to kick over and thicken.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Barry, I cook a lot with roux (not rue). Might I suggest that you whisk the roux (flour and fat) over medium heat for a could of minutes until it is all smooth and smells a bit like pie crust before adding your milk, wishing constantly. This will make sure there are no lumps and cook the raw flour taste out.

Looks really good, by the way.

• HC in SC
                          HC in SC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Correct - my bad! I believe rue means "street" .

I have corrected my post above.

Outstanding post and damn that stuff looks good!

Comment

AWESOME JOB Barry. Maybe when I'm down there getting that Lang this spring you can hook a brother up?

Originally posted by David C View Post
                          Looking forward to seeing this as well. Especially the sausage making part.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here