Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started making dutch babies for my wife several months ago and she really likes them. The recipe I follow is a tad different, but basically the same product. Once she found out how much flour I used, aka carbs, I had to adjust my recipe. So, here is a lower carb, higher protein dutch baby.
    1/4 cup packed AP flout (original was 1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup milk (I use whole milk) (original was 2/3 cup)
    4 large eggs (original was 3 large eggs)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 tbsp. clarified butter ( I don't bother to clarify, just put in skillet)

Mix together milk, eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt, mix until blended.

Preheat oven to 425 deg. F.
    Place the cast iron skillet in the oven to heat.
    Place the 3 tbsp. of butter in the skillet, allow to melt until it begins to brown.
    Pour mixture into skillet, cook 15 - 20 mins. Mine is usually ready to come out within 15 mins.

Topping
    1 Tbsp. butter melted.
    1/2 Meyer lemon ( I use what ever lemon is available at the grocery store)
    Brush or drizzle the butter / lemon mixture over the dutch baby once it is removed from the oven.
    Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. (I don't do this but is part of the original recipe)

Topping #2
    Any fruit is in a topping which goes on after baking. I usually don't do this either, as it adds carbs to the dish:
    Peaches (or your favorite fruit)
    Pinch of cloves
    Pinch of nutmeg
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    Lemon zest and juice (original recipe calls for Meyer lemon)
    Heat mixture in a sauce pan until the desired consistency.
    Pour over dutch baby once it is removed from the oven. After you have drizzled / brushed on the lemon-butter mixture.

Goes really well with some smoked breakfast sausage, but then, that's another story...

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent!

Sounds delish!

Comment

I make something that is called German Pancakes every camping trip we take. It's very similar. I do it in the camp Dutch oven, next time I'll try adding the apple mix.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here