Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch Baby

You know, you can't swing a dead cat on Facebook these days without hitting someone posting a video about making a Dutch Baby. But who has ever actually made a Dutch Baby?

Well, now I have. And damn.

10" cast iron skillet

3/4 cup flour
    3/4 cup whole milk
    3 Tablespoons white sugar
    3 large eggs

1 large Granny Smith apple
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 stick of butter, divided in half

A couple notes: I'm sure German pioneer woman would have used two small Snapdragon apples instead of one large Granny Smith, if that was what she had. She would also have made whole milk from 1% and half & half, if that was what she had.

Preheat the oven to 425*.

Mix up the batter and whisk it real good, more than you do with pancakes. Get those lumps out, but stop right there.

Melt half the butter in the skillet over medium and sauté the cinnamon, brown sugar, and sliced apples until the apples are soft, 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently and keep the heat down, or else the butter and sugar will harden. It should get sticky and syrupy.

Remove the apples to a dish, and wipe the skillet clean (I used a damp paper towel). Melt the rest of the butter, add back the apples, pour the batter over top and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. As it bakes, the pancake rises out of the skillet on the side like an upside down mushroom!

And, a Dutch Baby is born!

I had no idea what to expect, but hey: apples, cinnamon, sugar, batter, what could go wrong? And this is delicious! Texture is heavier than a pancake, lighter than French toast. I didn't have any confectioners sugar to sprinkle, so I used a little syrup. But don't douse it with anything, it is pretty sweet already. This is perfect for Christmas morning, I think. And, I did it in the oven, but this is obviously well suited to outdoor cooking, just use indirect 425 and you're there. Two thumbs up, I'd make this anytime. Easy and fun and delicious!

i can't see any of the pictures

Comment

I'm on a laptop and can see the pictures and it looks awesome! I'm envisioning some crispy bacon on top.

Comment

Mosca, a man of action! I can see it now. Dutch babies here we come.

By the way, pics were loud & clear on my IPad.

Comment

I'm going to try this one for sure.

Comment

Looks tasty Mosca !! Yum Yum!!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Yep would be a great start to a Christmas morning

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Especially with some spiked eggnog, or Irish coffee! ;-) Jus' sayin'! ;-) A++!! on adding th' crisped bacon, fuzzydaddy !

Mosca, Tom, You really have to Quit Doing This! I wasn't hungry until I opened Your Post! I might try a little Maple Syrup on It?
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Creamator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Just tried this out this morning, and it's a winner! My skillet has straight sides though, so the batter had trouble rising up the sides. I found a 3.2 qt. DO with a matching lid that's also a skillet. It's profile on the inside matches yours, and I've been wanting a smaller DO to do beans with any way, so it's on the way from Amazon! Can't have too much cast iron!

Comment

Looks good! On another note there is a run on dead cats lately - heard that saying a few times this week. Must be the impending moon...

Comment

Those are awesome! My wife made one a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious. She promised to make it more often so I will have to remind her this weekend.

Comment

Mr. Bones "spiked eggnog" = the only eggnog for me.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Amen, fuzzydaddy !
                          >> Kinda lean t'ward spiced rums in mine, although many happy eggnogs have thus far been achieved with good Bourbon ! ;-)

My wife makes a baked apple pancake breakfast casserole that looks much like that. Her portions are too big for just the two of us - I think your recipe/portions are perfect. Now the million dollar question - did you butter it after? I get in so much trouble putting butter on the top because she says it has enough butter. I like the extra melted butter and a little maple syrup on top.

Comment

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This is the first time I ever made one! That's how easy, first time it works perfectly! I didn't butter it because it has half a stick of butter in it already, the bottom is very buttery. The original recipe calls for shaking confectioner's sugar on top. I used a Tablespoon or so of maple syrup,

• tbob4
                          tbob4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The butter response is exactly what my wife tells me! Hahahaha.

Danjohnston949 , it ain't all 'hoighty-toighty', as ya' bin heard t' say, but may I suggest this, mebbe? Yum!! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2476.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	238353
                        Ah'm certain better can be scratchmade, but this works fer me on lazy mornins...

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mr. Bones, My Fat Club "Personal Trainer's" Parents Live in NE Wisconsin and Have a Maple Syrup Operation as a Family Hobby! I have an Invitation to join them in March for the Syrup Run! Can't Wait!
                          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Danjohnston949, that sounds fantastic! Maple is such a sublime flavor, isn't it!

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mosca, I don't know Why I thought Maple Syrup would go good with Your "Dutch Baby". But I am going to try Your Recipe with Maple Syrup! Thanks, Tom!
                          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here