Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple fatties on the mini WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple fatties on the mini WSM

My grandson loves smoked Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage. He'd live on them if he could. It was time for another batch so I fired up the mini WSM this morning and cranked out a pair. Temps held pretty steady at 250 even after I accidentally popped the charcoal basket off of the grate trying to rearrange some lit coals.

Two fatties, one with Big-Time BBQ Rub and one with Butt Glitter. I just happened to have them leftover. Memphis Dust is my preference. Click image for larger version

Name:	maplesau020s.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	16299

The mini warming up... Click image for larger version

Name:	maplesau013s.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	16300

About 75 minutes in... Click image for larger version

Name:	maplesau039s.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	16301

And the final. The internal temp went a little high, about 167, because I got distracted by work. Still juicy and very tasty though!! Click image for larger version

Name:	maplesau047s.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	16302

I at least got a taste of them this time!
    Last edited by IrondeQuer; September 7, 2014, 07:42 PM. Reason: grammatical

Did you stuff or wrap? I can't really tell, or did you just rub and smoke the whole sausage roll?

Comment

Pretty sweet. Y'all made enough of those mini's...now Weber wants $200 for one.

Comment

Just put rub on the whole roll right out of the package. I was considering a bacon wrap but surprisingly, he didn't want that.

Yeah, Jerod, crazy on that price, eh?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, it is a Weber and I believe they are definitely worth it (just not in my budget). I have a Smokey Joe Gold, and that dude grills way too good with grill grates to convert to a smoker.

I've heard of those mini's but never seen them, what size pot do you need?

Comment

Check this link out if you're interested in transforming your Weber Smokey Joe into a smoker. This has you written all over it Jerod. Although you have a PBC so why would you do this.. but you know....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I want a jumbo joe so I can make an 18.5

They travel well. I have a colleague who camps and he doesn't leave home without it. It holds a lot more than one would expect and works really well for reverse searing.

Comment

I would love one for tailgating.

Comment

Perfect for tailgating, John!

Hey, if you were going to stuff a maple fatty, what would you stuff it with? I'm not seeing anything obvious.

Comment

I just tried these, well one yesterday and one today. My coals were still going on the PBC so I ran to the store to pick up a hot and a maple. What temp should we cook these to? I see 167 in your post which is the number I remember and cooked to, but now that I look you say you over cooked them. These were really good, but quite dry at 165.

Comment

Meathead's guides indicates 160 is the goal for ground meat. In the 165+ range, I agree with you, they start to dry out. Still good though!

Comment

I always have leftover coals on a weekend smoke, gonna do a couple of these and oh man are they good on a biscuit!

Comment

I think later this week when I finally have a couple days off I will get up early and do this for breakfast for the family. My wife and boys love sausage, whereas I'm merely a casual fan- I can easily live without it. I hope that a smoked one will be a whole new world.

Comment

It's very different from most anything else I've had, would be very good on a biscuit. When I cook sausage patties they are normally very greasy, these have very little grease, the kids loved em.

Comment

UPDATE: The first couple of these came out dry, but last night I tried wrapping at 145. I wrapped it with some maple syrup until 160.
                          These things have a lot of fat so it really puts some flavor on the coals. I didn't use any other liquid in the wrap but when I took off the foil I was amazed at how much liquid was in there, but the outside had gotten just a bit soft so I put it on the heat for a few more minutes. Very good and very juicy, crust on the outside was really sweet, just a great balance.
                          I have made almost a dozen already, when people taste them they make me cook one up for them.
                          I put them in a ziploc and put in the fridge, then just slice off a piece and eat it or heat it up and toss it on a biscuit. This is the only thing I have made that everyone in my family loves.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here