Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock band OK GO sues Post Cereal for OK GO cereal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock band OK GO sues Post Cereal for OK GO cereal

The band OK GO (known in part for their creative and entertaining music videos, many of which are done in "one take" after lots of elaborate planning) is suing POST for their new OK GO single-serve cereal options.

The band doesn't want to be perceived as endorsing a product that they have not endorsed. POST says that there should be no confusion between a band and a food product (using "Delta" as an example company name that crosses industries)

source (note, language warning): https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...al-1235509428/

Love those guys. This is my all time favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKythlXAIY

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      Way Cool video.

I’m leaning toward the band on this one…..

Comment

I think the band has a very solid point. They've owned the trademark for fifteen years! Sheesh. I know I would certainly assume they'd lent their name to the cereal if I saw it on the shelf.

I'm with the artists on this one!

Comment

It's not like "Raisin Bran", which both Kellogg's and Post offer.

We understand Post's point -- if the band hadn't applied for a trademark that covers food products, then it should be an available product name for the cereal. And we could see how that would be the amount of due diligence the legal team did in advance of product launch.

Imagine a hot sauce company deciding to call their new sauce KISS . Mr Simmons would have it shut down ASAP.

Comment

Never heard of the band but seems like a reasonable lawsuit. If situations were reversed I'm sure Post would not hesitate to sue the band.

Comment

• Allon
            Allon commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't feel bad...
            Neither have I.

Or perhaps Mr. Simmons would sanction it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	152
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1371190

Comment

Adam Lambert - Mad World (American Idol Performance) - YouTube

Comment

I sure hope the judge looks at the lawyers for each side right before they speak and just yells, "OK GO!"

Comment

Who?

Comment

I watched a video and it was definitely cool.

Comment

• Alan Brice
                    Alan Brice commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another Very Cool video! That was fun.

Never heard of them. And now I know why. But I think their suit is right.

Comment

New to me too, but a fun video.

Comment

The band doesn't want to be perceived as endorsing a product that they have not endorsed.
                      Are they aware it's a food product and NOT a nefarious product that is ultimately intended to be injurious to one's health??

Isn't the love of money the root of all lawsuits?

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
                        WillTravelForFood commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They say they do a fair number of corporate partnerships. They don't want this one to be perceived as one when its not.

Because you wanted an update:

Indie Rockers OK Go Settle Cereal Lawsuit With Post Foods
                      The weird case -- a trademark battle over a line of cereal cups called "OK Go!" -- will end with a "confidential settlement agreement."

Rock band OK Go has settled its cereal lawsuit with Post Foods in a legal fight over the band's trademark. The terms of the agreement are unknown.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here