Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pancakes😜

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pancakes😜

A couple of weeks ago I was stumbling around one of the bread sites I frequent. I clicked on a pancake recipe that seemed unique. The mature (old) lady that posted it said that she had learned the recipe from her mother who had learned it from her grand mother etc, etc, etc. she claimed that her family had used this exact recipe for over 100 years with no, zero, zilch changes or variations. We all know a really, really good pancake is hard to come up with. There is a fine line between too dense and too fluffy. Somewhere in the middle of those 2 conditions is the sweet spot... Pancake nirvana!😋 I liked the story and I noticed the high quanity of butter, baking powder and the whole milk. Having some baking knowledge I thought this recipe had serious potential. I mixed a batch up the next morning for breakfast and I thought it certainly was the best pancakes i have EVER eaten. So then I invited the neighbor lady over for breakfast and she brought over her sister and brother in law. They all agreed... These pancakes are unique and very, very good. If you are making pancakes from a mix they have no chance of matching these fast and easy pancakes. Try it you might like it.😆 Pancake batter by weight and volume: I suggest you weigh the ingredients if you have a digital scale. All purpose flour 180 grams - 1 1/2 cups Sugar 14 grams - 1 table spoon Baking powder 10 grams - 31/2 teaspoons Salt 6 grams - 1 teaspoon Butter 40 grams - 3 tablespoons Egg 50 grams - 1 large egg Milk 300 grams - 1 1/4 cup whole milk Mix all of the dry ingredients together with a whisk. Add the milk, butter (melted) and egg (lightly beaten) together with the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. I cook them on an electric griddle at 375° until the top surface is bubbly and the outer edge is starting to get dry. Flip it and brown the other side.
    Last edited by Breadhead; December 23, 2015, 12:32 PM.

They look amazing, about how many of the size you show will that recipe make?

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      That recipe makes 3 pancakes that size. Just double it or triple it for more pancakes.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, gonna make some of these Christmas morning.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      _John_ ...

Cool... I think your family will enjoy them. Let me know how they turn out.

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I've added it to my notes in Evernote.

Comment

Darn... I made 1 slight change to the above post and the spacing got condensed.😡

Here it is so its easy to read again.

Pancake batter by weight & volume...

All purpose flour 180 grams - 1 1/2 cups
      Sugar 14 grams - 1 table spoon
      Baking powder 10 grams - 31/2 teaspoons
      Salt 6 grams - 1 teaspoon
      Butter 40 grams - 3 tablespoons
      Egg 50 grams - 1 large egg
      Milk 300 grams - 1 1/4 cup whole milk

Mix all of the dry ingredients together with a whisk.

Add the milk, butter (melted) and egg (lightly beaten) together with the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.

I cook them on an electric griddle until the top surface is bubbly and the outer edge is starting to get dry. Flip it and brown the other side.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        David Rosengarten (in his book "It's All American Food&quot has a similar recipe that makes GREAT pancakes:

2 1/2 c cake flour
        2 tsp baking powder
        2 tsp baking soda
        big pinch salt
        2 eggs, beaten
        2 12 cups buttermilk at room temp
        1/2 cup sugar
        1/4 tsp vanilla extract
        1/2 cup melted butter

Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder together, then whisk in and mix the flour mixture with everything else until very smooth. Allow to rest for five minutes, then cook on a buttered 375 F griddle. He recommends a 1/2 cup "serving size".

I love this cookbook, which has been out of print for a long time--alas. Used copies can be found.

I made these this morning, great flavour and easy to mix up with on hand ingredients. They came out dense, probably because I over mixed the batter. Will make again with a gentle mixing next time.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        If they came out to dense... Increase the milk to 325 grams.

I'm glad you liked them.👍

I made these this morning and really liked them. Kids thought they needed more sugar, but they don't eat them with syrup on them. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Here are my favorites. They're a bit different because there's no leavening other than the egg whites. A bit more work, but once you've done it once or twice, it's easy.

3 eggs
        1 cup flour
        pinch of salt
        3 tsp sugar
        1 cup milk (more or less)
        1 tbs vanilla extract
        butter for the pan

Add salt and sugar to the flour

Mix 1/2 cup milk into the flour and work to a smooth blend

Separate the eggs. Add the yolks to the dough. Put the whites in a separate bowl.

Add the vanilla to the dough and beat well.

Slowly add the rest of the milk until you have a thin or light syrup consistency.

Separately beat the whites until stiff.

Very gently fold the whites into the dough.

For each pancake, spread a little butter just to cover your pan (8-9"), which should be heated to medium low, and oven proof. Ladle out a bit of the batter and spread with a spatula to cover the bottom. When the edge can lift, throw the pan under a low broiler to finish.

If that doesn't work for you, finish on the stove top by flipping with a pair of spatulas (they're delicate).

There are all kinds of variations involving straight baking, or adding apples to the pan etc.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here