Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hash Pucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hash Pucks

Hash Pucks

In the past, I would really only cook hash around Christmas/New Year’s because I would have left over prime rib. But lately, I’ve had a some leftover tri-tip, top round, flatiron, etc., so I’ve been making hash on the weekends.

It’s good, but it’s not what I have found in restaurants. We were in Redding CA doing some fishing a couple of years ago, and had breakfast at a little hole in the wall (Trendy’s). The hash was spectacular! Everything you’d want.

I was thinking about that, and I thought, how could I make a single serving, self contained, structurally sound hash "puck"? Kinda like a McDonald’s hash brown. Crispy outside, fluffy inside, portable, and potentially hand held?
    I figured I could use egg rings. Browned ups some potatoes, sauteed some onions and peppers, heated up the leftover flatiron, mixed it all together, then stuffed it into the rings.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Prep.jpg Views:	67 Size:	4.92 MB ID:	1197251
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Ring.jpg Views:	67 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	1197252
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fina.jpg Views:	66 Size:	4.15 MB ID:	1197253
    The final result was good, but not exactly what I had in mind. The "puck" wasn’t structurally stable. In order to flip it, I had to scoop under the ring/puck with a spatula, then once on the spatula, remove the ring, put the ring back down on the flattop, then try to pack the hash back into the ring. Not really successful.

My wife suggested I reach out to The On-Line Breakfast People (AmazRibs) for advice, on how to get a self contained, breakfast hash puck.

I think a finer "grind" of the ingredients might help, everything was hand chopped to about 1/4’ cubes. I don’t have a grinder, so chopping it finer would be a hand done operation.

At the time, I thought I was smashing the hash into the egg ring pretty well, but upon looking at the pictures, that does not seem to be the case. I think packing the hash much more tightly would help also.

Any other suggestions? Is there a "binder" I could put into the hash? One recipe I’ve used in the past called for adding heavy cream at the end, but the DW didn’t like the mushy texture, and to cook it to "crisp" took it to nearly burned.
    Open to suggestions!
    Last edited by McFlyfi; March 28, 2022, 10:36 PM.

I’m thinking about this. I know the canned hash stays in rings but it has a much different consistency. I make a mashed potato pancake. I’m wondering if you could use a mixture of mashed potatoes, flour, egg, cream, diced potatoes, onion and the beef?

Comment

I'm thinking that you need some type of binder to hold it together

Comment

need just a little scrambled egg in that mix

Comment

• McFlyfi
          McFlyfi commented
          Editing a comment
          I was brushing up on mashed potato pancakes and waffle hash browns, and they all use egg and flour (like tbob4 above), the egg might just do the trick!

You might try making an edible ring from a strip of flour tortilla ... held in place by a toothpick or two or three until done.

Comment

I do believe that some egg in the mixture would act as the binder you are looking for.

Comment

Agree on the need for a binder.

I'm not sure a egg would do it alone. An egg with some mashed potatoes or some sort of panade or bread crumbs. Look towards crab cakes for inspiration

Comment

You need a protein or starch to keep it together. Toss it all in egg whites before packing it into the rings or dust it in corn starch. Alternatively grate some potatoes into a bit of salt water, let them sit for a bit, then wring out as tight as possible in a dish towel. Brown your meats and any veggies, then stir them into the potatoes. Pack that as tight as you can into the rings with plenty of fat on the bottom. Those options should fix you up.

Comment

I am going to experiment next weekend:
                Finer chop
                Mashed potatoes, egg, flour
                Scrambled egg
                Scrambled egg+bread crumbs
                Burger press instead of egg ring

I'll report back with the results.
                Thanks for the great ideas!
                Last edited by McFlyfi; March 28, 2022, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Look up a latke recipe. And there's a bunch of Mickey D's copycat recipes online as well.
                  Last edited by CaptainMike; March 28, 2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here