Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breakfast Fatty question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast Fatty question

So, i REALLY want try making a breakfast fatty, but my wife is convinced it will be just pouring our grease. Those of you who have made a fatty before, how greasy was it?

Mine was egg, hash browns, cheese, onion, wrapped in sausage, then wrapped in bacon. Everything was well cooked and the bacon nice and crispy. I’d imagine there would be grease if you were cooking it on a sheet pan. However, if you just cook it on the grill grates, it’s really just like eating a regular breakfast in a nice roll. No noticeable grease to me.

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait, did you change your handle?

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman yes sir

Years ago, when I made my first bacon explosion friends and family turned their noses up at it. My son declared "That looks like a big TURD!"
    Now it is his go-to for get-togethers. No mixed reviews either.
    I assume a breakfast fatty will be a delight too. I am thinking of a maple glaze to finish.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't hesitate to try ya out some Maple-Bourbon Glaze...

Can augment with many things...molcajeted onion, salt, pepper, chiles, garlic, cloves, pineapple juice, or even minced tidbits, to bring some Ol Time Traditional to th table, as well as a better smoke than factoury-boughten.

Double smoked is righta bout where I like my hams...usually do whole ones, vs th spirals...Bone in, bone out, depends on th Sales Flyer...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 10, 2021, 09:01 PM.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Go on savoury, sweet, aromatic, aimed t'wards specicially yer taste profiles...or make a brand spankin new one, that ya tuned...Please, do share...That's how we'uns all learn to replicate, an then to dare new things, an share em, Brother...

Peaches work great in this combo, as does brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, any thematic way ya wanna steer it.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve made a few things that fall into the turd category too :’)

I'll take her share of th grease

What lotsa no foodie / cookin types jus don't know, is they is eatin with they eyes, afore they even touch a bite... Grease? OMG!!!!

Lotta what's in yer skillet, dutch oven, etc., usw. is water, mebbe some hemoglobin.
    Freakin eat it, or save it, to aniont another dish, down th road... Leave it low simmer a spell... it Magicaklly evaporates, as steam... iow, water...grease n oils really don't so much evaporate ... it reaches its Flashpooint, an ignites.

They don't b'lieve ya??? stick th jus in yer icebox, or freezer, then show em th separation...skim of fat, on th top...
    When / if they protest, still ???

>>>Boil everything ya cook >>them<<, (Not yerself! :eek! .) Meat. Poultry. Fish. Veggies. Grain. Bread. Zero spices, salt, pepper, butter, sugar, broth, stock. Bupkis. Don't cave.

!!!EVERYTHING!!! Long as it takes.

This help most folks palates to (potentially, with some, eventually) develop at least a certain modicum, or smatterin of abilty to discern difference in comestibles...

Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 11, 2021, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Bones you hittin the sauce again? Is that Jack a talkin?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Jack goes to bed much earlier than I do, Brother! Troutman

And I thought this was gonna be about morning rolling papers…..I’m lost in today’s world….

Comment

• Starsky
      Starsky commented
      Editing a comment
      I also was somewhat confused

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      I, too, did a double take on that one.

I do the on the WSM and there’s little to no grease on the fatty, I do have to change out the foil in the water pan.

Comment

Mine are real simple. I use Bob Evans spicy sausage - put it in the cooker very cold (so it doesn't try to fall apart). I cook it on them on the top rack of my 14.5 WSM with the bowl removed (I could also do it on the grate in my PBC). Let the drippings provide the smoke flavor and when it hits about 145 internal I brush it with a combination of 1/2 maple syrup 1/4 lime juice 1/4 lemon juice. The citrusy sweetness of the glaze complements the spicy savoriness of the sausage. Cut the rolls into pucks and put on a platter. They are always a huge hit as a breakfast appetizer. I like to make them for noon football game tailgates.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here