Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Oven or other recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam6687
    commented on 's reply
    For sure the combo cooker is the way to go. i have this and a lodge 5qt dutch oven, the combo cooker is much easier getting the bread in and out of but both bake up great bread.

• Tomaron
    replied
    I got one of the 5 quart dutch ovens by Lodge. Ordered it a while back and it finally arrived yesterday. Unfortunately it had some manufacturing issues (A deep dent in the bottom and some serious grind marks all along one side). I contacted Lodge directly and showed them pictures, they confirmed that is absolutely not what it is supposed to look like.
    I've now gone on to Amazon to get a replacement sent out (and of course the customer support chat crashed so not sure where it all ended up, I'm just going to wait to see if I get an email or if I have to contact them again!)

I love my 10" Lodge skillet, but I am tempted to get a 12" one as well.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    PBCDad great choice! I use my 5 quart Lodge frequently - for chili this weekend. It's pretty much non-stick for anything I've made in it. Hope you guys like it for your bread baking! I only have a 12" Lodge skillet, so sometimes with I had gotten the double dutch oven instead, to have a 10" skillet.

• PBCDad
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry I'm mixing terms. It is the 5qt Double Dutch Oven with the skillet as the lid

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    klflowers the cornbread festival is on my list of things to do. I drove through South Pittsburg last Wednesday going and coming from Chattanooga. I really want to do the factory tour at Lodge during the festival.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    That's the one I have too. I got it at the factory store in South Pittsburg. If you haven't been to the Lodge open house they do during the cornbread festival, you should plan to take it post coved. It is interesting, then they funnel you straight to the store, which is not a good thing lol

• jfmorris
    replied
    PBCDad did you end up with the Lodge Combo-Cooker (3.2 quart with skillet as the lid), or the Lodge Double-Dutch oven, which is a 5 quart pot with a skillet as the lid?

Just curious. I've got the standard Lodge 5 quart with lid, my daughter has that double dutch oven and likes it, plus her lid doubles as a 10" skillet. I've thought of the combo cooker for bread, and those times I need a smaller dutch oven than my 5 quart.

Either way, if you keep that cast iron seasoned, it will be great for baking and anything else you want to throw at it, without anything flaking off in your food. Well - I guess seasoning can come off, but its edible, unlike porcelain!
    Last edited by jfmorris; March 1, 2021, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PBCDad
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your help. We have the Lodge combo 5qt on the way!

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Looks nice, but I have all the CI skillets that I need! ­čśÄ

• rickgregory
    replied
    The advantage of the dutch oven technique is just that it lets you more easily control when you stop with the steam. It will be limited by when you remove the lid (or the cooker in the case of the lodge, so if you want to bake with steam for 25 minutes, you can remove the lid then and the minimal moisture there will quickly dissipate.

Whether this is important... eh. If you have a baking steel, the inverted stainless bowl over the loaf works just fine. So does adding a pan with water and letting that steam away.
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 1, 2021, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    I recommend what Thunder77 wrote at Post #6.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    I do this too, and it is much easier than maneuvering "heavy" cast iron pieces. I added a METAL (cuz...no melt--LOL) cabinet pull to the outside of the bottom of the bowl to make it easier to lift the bowl off--just drill a hole through bowl bottom and screw/bolt the pull in place. A baking stone (or steel) and a stainless bowl--my bowl came from a 4-piece Costco mixing bowl set--and you're set to bake bread!

• jfmorris
    replied
    I have this one - my wife got it at the local Academy:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...bail?sku=L8DO3

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I have the same basic one but with the wire bail handle.

• jfmorris
    replied
    I second the recommendation for a Lodge 5 quart cast iron dutch oven. I originally asked my wife for the 7 quart model and am so glad she got the 5 quart instead. Mine has the bail handle which stays cool on the stove for picking it up and moving it without a pot holder. I use mine for bread, stews, chili, frying, etc. works great on the grill, stove top and in the oven.

I have a Misen 7 quart enameled one on the way at some point from their recent Kickstarter. I doubt their enamel will be coming off.

We often use the same no knead recipe to make loaves of bread, baked on parchment paper uncontained on a baking sheet. I just cut the baking time from 50 to 30 minutes when doing that.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourácompleteáreview

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
Click here to read our detailedáreview

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourácomplete review