Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Oven or other recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim White
    replied
    The advice above may well take me to buying a combo cooker.

But, for when she moves on to other crusty style loaves that don't cook in a Dutch oven, I enjoy using my Lodge 14 inch cast iron pizza pan with a Lodge skillet under it to pour water into for the steam. As above, a pizza peel and parchment paper make it easy to load. I do, however, use my heavy duty Pitmaker gloves to handle these items that have preheated for so long.

And then she can move on to pizza, too!

Leave a comment:

• TheQuietOne
    commented on 's reply
    Second this. We use the combo cooker too. It's just the right size and mass. The crust turns out perfectly.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    One note on the Lodge. While it does come seasoned, you need to do a few more layers of seasoning. The single layer it has is really only good to protect it in transit etc. The ceramic ones obviously don't need to be seasoned.

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Funny you should ask. I have THIS ONE from Lodge ... which works especially well (no burnt knuckles) if you invert it for baking:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DB3562DC-DDDB-491C-A031-D56D7568909B_1_201_a.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	995909

Click image for larger version  Name:	D21DB700-324E-4528-B607-B7C6ED4FBBB2_1_201_a.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	995910

​​​​​​​I do believe that rickgregory and I may have been typing about the same DO at the same time ... (great minds) ...
    Last edited by MBMorgan; February 26, 2021, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    For round loaves, you could get the Lodge Combo Cooker: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...ooker?sku=LCC3

It was a few advantages....

1) It's very easy to put the dough on the bottom, flat part. You're not reaching into a 500F cast iron vessel.
    2) You can cover that with the dutch oven part and it will capture the moisture in the loaf for steam. You can them remove that to finish without steam.
    3) It's just cast iron. No enamel etc.

What I find easiest is to proof the dough in a basket, then turns out onto a piece of parchment paper that's on a pizza peel. Then simply slide that on to the bottom of the combo cooker and cover.

Another option is this, which is similar but ceramic: https://breadtopia.com/store/breadto...o-bread-baker/. The Lodge doesnt hold batards as well as this seems to (I have a Lodge, not this one)

Breadtopia is a good place for all kinds of supplies, too. See their full set of baking vessels here https://breadtopia.com/product-categ...aking-vessels/

Leave a comment:

• PBCDad
    started a topic Dutch Oven or other recommendations

Dutch Oven or other recommendations

Hey all,

My wife has recently gotten into baking bread, and she really likes it. So far we've only really done the Jim Lahey no-knead bread recipe with a single foray into a loaf bread, but she's taken off with it once she discovered how easy it was for her to do herself. As a point of reference, she currently has three things of dough ready for baking (you may notice I don't know any of the lingo yet).

We've been using an enamel-coated 6-qt dutch oven for baking the bread, and it has worked well. The problem comes in last week when she used the same dutch oven for two or three loaves in a row without cleaning and reheating in between. Some stuff got baked on, turned black, and when it was finally removed it took some enamel coating with it. We don't want enamel getting into our food, so we've gotten rid of it. The better half is also now looking for something without a coating that may break off into food.

So now I'm looking for something new to bake bread. I'm thinking cast iron because I used our previous dutch oven for making soups and chili as well, but I'm open to suggestions. And if we go with cast iron, is there one you recommend? Lodge? What size, what style lid, etc?

Thanks in advance

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here