Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

baguettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    replied
    Mark - try this method for shaping. And make sure you're not over or under proofing.

In this guide on how to shape baguette, you'll learn the easiest and most effective way to form sourdough bread dough into this French staple.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Here's the result from the video I posted above. We did not bake it on a pizza stone or use the metal bowl instead we used a baguette pan and a baking dish with water on the lower rack. The results were good. Far better than the last recipe she tried.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16145689803221.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	997279Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16145689803220.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	997280

Leave a comment:

• chudzikb
    commented on 's reply
    I have made these! And they came out rather well. You have to get some of that diastic malt powder, but, otherwise not so bad. Weed's and sardines guy is now one of my favorites.
    And yes, when making baguettes I have forgotten the salt! Thought I was the only dumbass! Guess not...

• johnec00
    replied
    I've used this method a number of times now with good results. Pictures are not one of my core competencies, but a couple are attached. I've found that its important to catch the starter at near its maximum expansion. And I use 20% wheat flour in feeding the starter.

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	994247

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	994248

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    commented on 's reply
    See, I told you that your photos were awesome. Man that looks fantastic!

• Attjack
    replied
    My girlfriend has been working on baguettes recently. They aren't there yet so we watched this video last night but haven't tried his methods yet. We have purchased a baguette pan which was helpful and we have a bread scoring lame on order too.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Funny you should ask. I started a batch of dough for baguettes Sat. I baked the first two baguettes today. I forgot to steam them, but otherwise they were very good - just not super crisp. I'm gettin' ready to make a post on the sourdough thread shortly, so look there for more info.

The most likely reason for yours being too dense is overhandling. You must very gently deflate the dough. I never press hard when shaping the dough. Here's the interior of one I baked today:

Name:	20210222_173651[1].jpg
Views:	261
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	994012

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    started a topic baguettes

baguettes

Two attempts at baguettes now, not good enough. Forkish doesn't go into it, I wonder about that. Could it be too difficult
    with home equipment? My first attempt was a recipe online 65% hydration, I thought that was too low, and it turned out too dense. The second attempt was 70% and the crust was great but still not the holes I wanted. So next I suppose is 75%.
    Those breads didn't suck just not what they were supposed to be.

This morning at 4 AM I missed adding salt, wow, bland bread. That didn't help! Never did that before. Still not a recipe I would try again, too dense. I know salt helps structure, but not that much.

Does anyone have a recipe for baguettes that would rival what I buy at good bakeries? I have been able to make boules
    to rival them, there must be a way. I don't want a loaf of bread just in a different shape!

Name:	bag whole.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	993981

Name:	bag cut.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	993982

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here