Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First sourdough bake in for what seems like forever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sourdough bake in for what seems like forever.

So, I have for the time being, closed the books on bread, and forging my own questions and answers. So, no fancy scoring, for a bit, or so I think. But, I have been feeding starter for about 3 months now, and have one now that would 4 times a day if you wanted, also it is just as happy to be fed every 2-3 days just left on counter,

500 grams flour (350 g bread flour - 150 g whole wheat)

75 % hydration

2 % salt = 10g

100 grams of starter

*Starter was a 100 % hydration, which then brings the total hydration up to I believe 77%

This bake started out on a less then great note, I had lost track of time, and my counter time this morning led me to have an over proofed dough. I should have A, put it back in refrigerator for an hour, B. I also, could have remolded it, prior to refrigerating. My anxiousness for the bake got me. it cooked more like a poolish, a few reason, I used a 6 qt DO and the over proofing. I did get good crust, nice bubbling. All in all I am very pleased.

Click image for larger version  Name:	93A125E0-E7AB-481F-B816-EDFBD22D9416.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	302.3 KB ID:	981111
    Click image for larger version  Name:	FBE7018A-2BC0-4147-8674-76F1155EC513.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	981112
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E97E7BE9-6100-49C4-A3AC-C4D0FA6740BD.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	6.65 MB ID:	981113
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 27, 2021, 05:35 PM.

Good job!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I remembered you encouraging me to the idea of the bubbles on the crust. .

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      King Arthur Flour used to have a channel for bakers to discuss baking. One of my first posts was to ask what I did wrong to get bubbles in my crust. They, (good naturedly), laughed at me and told me I done good. That's how I learned about the bubbles.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, RonB, good with bubbles! 👍

Richard, great with bread!
    Steak? Well, there’s a little history that needs to be taken care of.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      HaHa!

Looks grand!

Comment

Give me some good butter and a slice of that! please

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here