Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a community starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a community starter

So, I kind of miss making bread, but, just very labor intensive the way I liked to make it, I always enjoyed making 8 loaves giving away 8 loaves, occasionally, keeping one every now and then. So, I have decided I am just going to focus on a starter, guide it through various questions I have, occasionally testing my thought in a bake. But, I think I will offer the starter out for free to anyone that asks locally. I fired up some some whole wheat and got it healthy, yesterday I switched to 12 hour feedings, and started testing what conditions my flours are in, fun to see this peak back in to my questions.

2 weeks in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68B31F56-24EE-4CA5-887A-F8502463AB10.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	947966

Wishin I was closer, have never baked with a starter, much to be learned, here

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard- there are a lot of bakers here. Like Mr. Bones I can’t help. However, when you get the answers I know you will take it to a new level and I am looking forward to it.

Last nights feeding

Click image for larger version

Name:	68F76BD4-49C7-4F45-9011-F731D6470169.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	948013

Comment

Nice active starter Richard Chrz ! I dried my starter on 6-20-18. After the Holidays I need to get see if I can get it going again. You are an inspiration!

Comment

Richard Chrz its looking fantastic! I am actually on a feeding schedule myself. Nancy is her name. I received her from my friend, Nancy, from my culinary historians club. She, in turn, received hers from Nancy Silverton herself. I have had my Nancy for about 10-12 years now. There were times I forgot she was in the back of the fridge and ended up with a fingers worth of hooch. But she bounces right back. I just use KA Bread flour. I don’t make anything extravagant, most baguette and English muffins.

Comment

For people interested in using a starter but who don't want to er, start it from scratch, many bakeries around here have been offering starter at retail just to bring in some bucks.

Once its established, it's pretty easy to maintain. You can do daily feedings but don't really NEED to in my experience.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory sometimes I will go weeks without feeding, hence the hooch reference above.

I just throw mine away when I am done with them. For me, much of the fun is in the creation and manipulating the starter, or at least the visual and tastebud side. I’m not very scientific beyond the scale and thermometer, maybe someday I will gain more knowledge. I get mostly lucky, or so I believe.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 1, 2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard Chrz keep a little back next time..... the "older" your started gets, the more sour you gain. If you like your sourdough to kick you in the teeth, let it ride.....

When Nancy gets too sour, I just tame her down a bit and double the "feed" v. the existing starter. Not to tell you your bidness, just giving you my experience.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn. I appreciate all wisdom shared, especially when in experience and in idea - kind offering - and other. I appreciate your input, I truly do! I would love to understand more about the life of good fermentation, I always want to learn. Thank you.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here