Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Potato Bread - I'm pleased!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough Potato Bread - I'm pleased!

I'm so pleased with the way these turned out...as is quite usual, I started by searching out a recipe on the web...

One of the best sourdough breads I make - 100% sourdough, no yeast in recipe, and people cannot beleive how fluffy and wonderful this is without commercial yeast!

I followed the recipe exactly, with the final proof being overnight outside in my travel trailer where the temperature was around 50F.

I think the only changes I will make next time is to divide into 3 loaf pans instead of 2, and make a small score across the top.

Really great outcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_092339.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	942320Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_100800.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	942321Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_125745.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	942322Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_125934.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	942323Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_125947.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	942324Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_153502.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	942325Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_155112.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	942326Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_132648.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	942327

Bravo, amigo!
    Nicely Done!

Comment

They're gorgeous!

Comment

Looks perfect!

Comment

Your killing me, another thing I have to make...so much good food, so little time.

Do you have the weights for the ingredients? I can never get it right using cup of this teaspoon of that, but, grams, I can do.
          Last edited by chudzikb; November 19, 2020, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Great bread treesmacker !

Comment

They look terrific!

Comment

Originally posted by chudzikb View Post
                ...Do you have the weights for the ingredients?....
                1 cup sourdough starter approx 8 oz / 225g
                1 1/2 cups warm water 12 oz / 340 g
                2 cups bread flour 9.6 oz / 270 g
                1 cup plain prepared mashed potatoes 8.8 oz / 250 g
                3/4 cup warm water 6 oz / 170 g
                2 teaspoons salt 0.4 oz / 12 g (assumes table salt, not kosher)
                1/3 cup oil or melted margarine or butter 2.7 oz / 75 g
                1/3 cup sugar 2.3 oz / 65 g
                6 1/2 to 7 cups bread flour 31.2-33.6 oz / 890-960 g

Source: https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/...lume-to-weight

Comment

• chudzikb
                  chudzikb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you! That is very helpful, I figured there was a conversion chart somewhere, but, too damn lazy to look it up.

• treesmacker
                  treesmacker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the conversion... and the link to calculate is very handy. I also prefer to go by weight, but in this case I used the measurements; though with the final addition of flour I just kept kneading in a little at a time until the dough felt right.

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad I could help! I'm in the process of converting a lot of my recipes to weights, so I'm getting a lot of practice doing these conversions. It wasn't a big deal to do, because I wanted to convert and save it for myself. It looks really good.

Nicely done, made me want to reach for a slice thru the screen

Comment

Very Nice!!

Comment

Stunning! Beautiful! Bravo!! I am always looking for new bread recipes to try, so I will give this one a go. Nicely done!

Comment

Fit for the upper crust. Sour dough and Sour mash the finer things of life.
                      You Done Good.

Comment

I have not cut yet, but looks promising. Used a slightly different technique.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
                          treesmacker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Certainly does look promising! I assume it is the sourdough potato bread. What did you vary with the technique?

Yes it is the sourdough potato bread. I added flour till I got what I liked as a constancy and "feel" for lack of a better term. One I made a round loaf and did in a dutch oven. 15 minutes with a closed lid then till I got the browning that I deemed "right". kneaded by hand, as God intended! Taste is unique. Some of the best tasting stuff I have made. Those sourdough baggets are next on the list.

Comment

• treesmacker
                          treesmacker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did the same with added flour. Good to know that the closed lid dutch oven works for this recipe as well. I'd like to see the inside when you cut it if you can post. Enjoy!

I couldn’t bake my way out of a paper bag. Serious envy setting in, I love artisan bread, especially sour dough 👍👍

Comment

• treesmacker
                          treesmacker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This year has been my first foray into baking. I wouldn't be doing it had a friend, last Christmas, not offered a sourdough starter stated to be passed on for over 100 years from Montana. Feel it is my duty to keep it alive... and the challenge has been quite interesting. It does take some effort and patience.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here