Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread... Sometimes you just have to wing it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread... Sometimes you just have to wing it.

I'm a sourdough guy... Mostly. Sometimes your starter is not ready when you want to bake bread. So one must wing it and lower themselves to use commercial yeast.

I decided to do a 15 hour preferment and then add 20% of the flour as Whole Wheat, just for the fun of it.

All turned out well...

Breadhead when making the hamburger buns the recipe is only for 6 buns. If I want to make 12 buns do I have to make the recipe twice or can I just double everything?

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Double everything except for the yeast. That small packet of yeast will rise 1000 grams of flour. Do everything exactly the same and all will be good.πŸ‘

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks

Looks good! One day I'll take up bread. I have never been successful with bread, but one day I'll jump back into it!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Bread is like BBQ... easy once you figure it out.πŸ€— Once you understand the critical details it's a forehead slapper, and you wonder why you thought it seemed so difficult before.
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 30, 2017, 11:02 PM.

I love bread. I don't eat as much as I used to though. It would be hard not to with stuff like that around.

Comment

I made tons of breads, cakes, muffins, biscuits, pie crusts, cookies etc.. in culinary school. Not really my thing. I dig the rolled dough and the clafoutis though. I respect Breadhead and admire his dedication to the formula and craft. Just sharing a few pics.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	354678

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	354679

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	354680

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	354681

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	354682

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	354683

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Post away my friend... not a problem.πŸ‘

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead thank you sir. The rolled dough though. Oh my world!! We had the rotating Fisch ovens with 5 or 6 shelves, and some covects and combis. Amazing. I submit we produced far better bakers and pastry arts folk then cooks. Their were more cooks which leftbmore oven time for the bakers.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        There are some ovens made specifically for baking bread that most people don't even know exist. 6 rack ovens that have built in misting system... that's like baking 60 loaves of bread in a douch oven. Perfect steam at exactly the right time and then it shuts down to brown your crusts.Γ°ΕΈβ€˜Β

Nice inventions! Around here, my wife is the bake-meister. Works for both of us.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here