Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusk Recipe for Winter Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusk Recipe for Winter Woes

Here's something to accompany your favourite WARM beverage this winter.
    Rusks are a uniquely South African crunchy treat and a firm favourite that must be dunked in your preferred brew.
    There are many great grandma's recipes that have been passed down but no matter which one they are all good.
    They can be made in many different shapes sizes and flavours.
    I bake 2 batches at a time, not only because they are good but 1 batch doesn't see the middle of the week.
    As far as flavours go there are many variables too many to mention here. Some of the tasty things I like using include buttermilk, muesli, yoghurt and condensed milk.

Recipe
    1.5 Kg self raising flour
    10 ml salt
    500 ml sugar (I use 1/2 white + 1/2 brown)
    500 grams butter
    500 ml buttermilk
    3 eggs

Preheat oven to 180C
    Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
    Melt butter and whisk in buttermilk
    Whisk in eggs
    Add wet to dry and mix (easiest done by hand)
    I then add the muesli after mixing (not essential but nice.) If I have raisins they go in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_161418.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	925672

Divide the mixture in half and flatten in a greased baking tray then cut the dough in finger thick sections along the width and either one or two cuts in the length.
    Bake for 30 minutes.

Name:	2020-10-18 20.19.36.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	925673

While still hot recut the finger sections and turn out of tray and separate.

Name:	20201018_161959.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	925674

Let the oven cool to 100 C and dry out the rusks in the oven at that temp for about 2 hrs.

Name:	20201018_195606.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	925675 ​​​​​​​

Very Important Method.

Dip Rusk in cup of tea, coffee, hot choclate or whatever tickles your taste. This may require a little practice. Leaving the Rusk in your beverage for too long, it will get soggy and break off.
    Grip Rusk between finger and thumb and dunk twice before lifting out to take a bite. The extent of dunking depends on density. You need to experiment and have a teaspoon at the ready to fish out broken bits from the cup.

Give them a try they are good.

South African Biscotti? Looks good, I'll have to try making a batch. What is muesli?
    Last edited by 58limited; October 18, 2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Had to look it up and basically muesli is raw granola (unbaked) without any sweetners

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
      Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
      Editing a comment
      You can buy muesli in the grocery store under the brand names of Familia or Alpen.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought of biscotti as well.

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Thanks, looks good. Goes on the to do list.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        When winter weather gets you down they are a good pick me up. Pretty much like what doughnuts do when you depressed 😊

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here