Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Sweet Potato Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sweet Potato Pie

I've been planning to do a sweet potato pie for some time. I spent a lot of time googling recipes, but they all seemed to have some quirk, like: odd use of different fats (what's wrong with real butter?), condensed vs separated milk et.c. And not to mention 50 shades of pie crusts. I've baked a lot of pies, so I figured I might as well create my own recipe.

Well, here goes. It's easy to make, stays very true to this Southern classic, and tastes great.

Filling
    • 1.5 lb sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 small)
    • 2 eggs
    • 7 tbsp heavy cream
    • 1.8 oz butter
    • 1.8 oz brown sugar
    • 0.5 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
    • 0.5 tsp cinnamon
    • 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg (dried)
    • 0.5 tsp ground ginger (dried)

Pie crust
    • 1.3 cups wheat flour
    • 4.4 oz butter
    • 0.5 tsp salt
    • 2 tbsp sugar

Instructions
    • Bring the butter out to room temp an hour before cooking.
    • Turn the oven on and set it to 175° C / 350° F.
    • Peel and roughly cube (1.5-2") the sweet potatoes and boil in water in a pan until soft. This usually takes 15 minutes. Get rid of the water and rinse with cold water.

Pie crust
    • Mix the pie crust ingredients in a bowl or food processor and work lightly until ingredients are well blended.
    • Fill the pie plate with an evenly thick layer of the pie crust.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sweet_potato_pie-1.jpg Views:	7 Size:	934.1 KB ID:	923502

Filling
    • Mix the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and blend or whisk until smooth.
    • Fill the pie crust with the filling and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sweet_potato_pie-2.jpg Views:	7 Size:	998.7 KB ID:	923504

Serving suggestion
    • Serve the pie with whipped cream with some sugar in it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sweet_potatoe_pie-4.jpg Views:	7 Size:	966.6 KB ID:	923503

There you go, Sweet Potato Pie - Hank style!

Click image for larger version  Name:	sweet_potato_pie.jpg Views:	7 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	923505
    Last edited by Henrik; October 14, 2020, 04:58 AM.

Nice looking pie mate, you're pretty handy as a food stylist too haha

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Stuey!

Put me in Coach!!! I have never met a sweet potato yet that I did not like.
    Henrik that is a great looking pie with even an ocean between us you best not leave that on a window sill to cool.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I did that a few years ago. I learned the hard way. The birds had a feast all night, cleaned it out proper. No more. That pie has one destination: my belly!

Looks Delicious Henrik !

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skip!

Great take on a classic!

Comment

Henrik ,
      I thought you were going to sing this song by James Taylor! Nice recipe!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

Well shut my mouth!

Comment

That's beautiful, Hank. I'll bet that crust would make a great base for a cheesecake, or, looking at it from the other side, a crust made from crushed ginger snaps and butter might be good with your sweet potato filling.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I like the way you are thinking 👍

That looks fantastic.
        I have nothing better to do tomorrow while my first own cured brisket has it's moment in the heat.
        So we'll call it "Our sweet potato pie" after I'm done 😊.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          You betcha

Could be the start of a new tradition - thanks for the post, Henrik

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here