Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bear's Bread near failure - rescued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bear's Bread near failure - rescued

I started this sourdough bread 5 days ago per the recipe linked below. The first three days went as planned with the dough bulk fermenting under refrigeration; it expanded and bubbled beautifully. On the fourth day, it just flopped into a wet mess and wouldn't rise anymore (after the recommended folds). So, I read up on rescuing over proofed dough and improvised. It seemed like the hydration was too high, so I weighed the dough and measured out an equal amount of Ooni pizza dough mix at 60% hydration; I mixed the yeast and warm water together, poured it over the flopped dough, and mixed it all up with an immersion blender; I then added the flour and salt, kneaded it all together and it went into the fridge overnight again. Today, I pulled it out, formed it into a batard, and placed it into a banneton for 2 hour proof at 85 degrees (from cold). Then into the 450 degree preheated dutch oven...

Now, I don't know if this splayed open loaf is considered good or not, but it definitely is to my liking. It smells super, has a wonderful sour flavor, delicate soft crumb, and a super crunchy and chewy crust at the same time. I have two more blobs of the flopped dough under refrigeration and I'll definitely rescue that this weekend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200925_205953.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	916378Click image for larger version  Name:	20200925_a1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	709.5 KB ID:	916379Click image for larger version  Name:	20200925_b1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	819.0 KB ID:	916380Click image for larger version  Name:	20200925_c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	667.1 KB ID:	916381Click image for larger version  Name:	20200925_d.jpg Views:	0 Size:	626.3 KB ID:	916382
    Last edited by treesmacker; September 25, 2020, 10:15 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-09-25 221942.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	916392

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve suggested before that trial members should not be allowed to post external links for the first 5 or 10 posts. Almost the same thing every time. Either the first post, or a couple of throwaway comments and then a post a link to a spam site.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for flagging I took care of it! We appreciate your help!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      DO NOT click links from brand new trial members, especially their 1st or 2nd post. Good thing your Norton is working. We're working on this.

Great job! That looks super. I do wish I liked sour bread, but I just can't get into the sour taste, and have not been able to reliably produce non-sour sourdough.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      Great job! That looks super. I do wish I liked sour bread, but I just can't get into the sour taste, and have not been able to reliably produce non-sour sourdough.
      So, I had a starter that was too acidic and looked around for how to correct it, Basically the advice comes down to two things:

1) use less starter when you feed - say 1 part starter to 10 parts flour/water mix (so 10g of starter to 100g of the flour/water mix... NOT 10g starter to 100g of flour + 100g of water, just to be clear )

2) a less than 100% starter. maybe 80% or so. That is, 10g starter, 50g flour and maybe 30g or so of water. You want just enough to hydrate the flour so there aren't dry bits but not much more.

This did work for me. Whether it's what you're after I don't know.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx. I don't have a starter now, but I may try again if things slow down - I'm havin' too much fun now...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here