Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough starter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough starter help

I received a sour dough start but am a bit confused on a couple things ,
    1- can I pull it straight from fridge anytime and pour off amount I need for recipe or do I need to let it warm up until bubbly?
    2- do I need to feed it right away removing amount for recipe?

3- do I have to feed it with a certain period before using for recipe?
    Thank you in advance for any help!

1. Starter cycles from fresh when you just discarded most of it and "fed" it with an amount of flour and water to when it gets bubbly (ripe) and rises to deflated and alcoholy (needs feeding). It works best if you get it out of the fridge a couple days before you need to use it and feed it to train it to get used to the cycle again.

2. When you remove the amount you use for the recipe you want it juuuust past it's peak bubbliness before it starts deflating and getting alcoholy. You use this to make the leaven and incorporate that into your recipe.

3. I think 1. kind of answered this. Try to time it up so that when you need the starter you already fed it hours ago and it's ripe but not deflated and runny.

Good luck

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on #1

This is the best guide I've found to using sourdough starters: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/new-baker-start-here/

The pictures are especially helpful.

NOW - there are some folks who've tried using starter straight from the fridge without building a levain etc and it works. There are few absolute rules. But as with all things like this, I encourage you to follow what most people say and then branch out.

Comment

LOTS of good info here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ourdough-bread

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here