Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Beer Rye - My Best Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough Beer Rye - My Best Yet

I think this is my best yet on this recipe. Everything worked! I use my Lodge dutch oven turned upside down. I love the way it puts those perfect dimples in the bottom of the loaf. I used Clausthaler alcohol free beer because that is all I had that was room temperature. I'll know for sure if it is best when I cut into it. I'm very happy with the looks of it though. Internal temp measured right at 203 when I took it out.

The crust of this sourdough loaf is deep mahogany, almost black, and the interior was soft and chewy, with large, irregular holes. The bread makes excellent sandwiches too!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200721_212708.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	884517Click image for larger version  Name:	20200721_212734.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	884518Click image for larger version  Name:	20200721_212744.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	884519Click image for larger version  Name:	20200721_212848.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	884520
    Attached Files
    Last edited by treesmacker; July 21, 2020, 10:48 PM.

Man, that's perfection right there. Cool idea on the upside down Lodge! What's the hydration rate of that recipe?

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      @ hoovarmin I'm calculating about 73%.

Liquid: 4 oz in starter, 12 oz in beer, .75 oz in honey = 16.75 oz.
      Flour: 4 oz in starter, 5 oz rye, 12 oz bread, 2 oz more bread slowly add while mixing = 23 oz.
      16.75/23 = .73

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Really impressive that you were able to score it successfully with 73% hydration. Really nice job.

That does look great.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Outstanding! And even got the design perfect! Can’t wait to see what the crumb looks like!

Comment

Looking wonderful treesmacker ! Great idea to use your CI Cover that way. I have that same CI Dutch Oven & Cover. Now I need to do that.

Comment

barelfly
            So here's pics of the crumb...nice I think for sandwich rye, or toast...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200722_082806.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	884772
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20200722_082840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	884773
            Last edited by treesmacker; July 22, 2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Money!

Wow that looks good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here