Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade NY Style Pizza Dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade NY Style Pizza Dough

I thought I would post the NY style pizza dough recipe I found elsewhere, as the original site is no longer publishing the same recipe, and has changed it to one that uses only all-purpose flour, meaning the recipe I've been using for my pizza is no longer anywhere on the web! I've used this in the oven at 450F baked for 15 minutes or so, and on my kettle with the SNS at 550F, where it gets done in under 10 minutes, with any number of toppings.

First - to give credit where credit is due, original credit goes to "Don't Waste the Crumbs", a food blog, and the current recipe they are publishing is here:

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/homem...za-sauce-ever/

They have switched to only all purpose flour, and I personally think the whole wheat and semolina flour make a huge difference. Here is the version I use, which is no longer published.

HOMEMADE NY STYLE PIZZA DOUGH
    Serves: 2 Pizzas

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 1/2 cups warm water
    • 2 tsp active yeast
    • 2 tsp granulated sugar or honey
    • 1 cup all whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup semolina flour
    • 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Combine warm water, yeast and sweetener in either a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Allow it to sit and bloom for five minutes.
    2. Add semolina and whole grain flours plus 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and salt and knead for 10 minutes, or by hand until the dough is elastic and springs back into place after the thumb test. Add additional flour, ¼ cup at a time, as needed for the dough to come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl. I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer with a dough hook, on the lowest speed.
    3. Cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, 1½ - 2 hours.
    4. Lightly flour the counter and shape into two round balls. Cover with a towel until you are ready to pound or roll out into a pizza. I make the pizza on a piece of floured parchment paper, for easy transfer to a stone or in my case, the Lodge cast iron pizza pan.
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 13, 2020, 09:59 AM.

I made this recipe when you posted it a few weeks ago on another thread jfmorris . I agree and thank you again for posting it. As it is written the recipe makes a very good Thin Crust Pizza. Totally agree with you Jim that the Semolina and Whole Wheat Flours are necessary. It freezes well too!

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you freeze it as a dough ball after rising, or as a rolled out crust?

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I freeze as dough ball after rising. It thaws in 2-3 hours.

Going to try soon

Comment

Yup, thanks muchos! Nuthin like the real deal. Sumtimes "they" just have ta mess with the original. 👍

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I am thinking that since the blog I got it from is focused on feeding your family on a budget, and a lot of flour has been hard to get, that she simplified the recipe to just use all purpose only, since the change was made during COVID-19.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here