Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Wheat Sour Dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Wheat Sour Dough

Third attempt at sour dough bread, whole wheat this time. Not pretty but it tasted good. Really stuck to the basket, used semolina to coat the basket, don’t think I’ll try it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9CFAE2F6-3C00-492C-B6F2-CA7732204AF9.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	879354

Try coating the basket with rice flour. Learned that trick recently from watching videos by Proof Bakery on youtube.

Comment

This might help you shape your dough:

Comment

100% whole wheat? Nice. Not easy to do.

Comment

What is the size of the vessel you are using to cook it and what temp/time?

Comment

Yeah, rice flour will do the trick. And whole wheat needs a higher hydration, so consider that next time too.

Comment

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
              What is the size of the vessel you are using to cook it and what temp/time?
              Used a 8” basket to proof and cooked on a baking sheet. 500F. All went well until I tried to get it out of the basket. Will try rice flour next time, as a couple have suggested.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                DavidEmpey Have you ever tried using a dutch oven? (BTW, I'm a bread newbie too) First, with the lid on for the first 30 minutes of the cook, it provides steam, which improves the crust tremendously. Second, it helps form a nice shape. The Forkish method is to preheat the CI DO at 475 for 45 minutes, then put your dough in and cook with the lid on for 30 min, then lid off for the remaining time. It seems to work quite well.

Another attempt, this is more like it. I think I might have messed up the measurements in the earlier attempt. hoovarmin will try the dutch oven next time! Click image for larger version

Name:	266A008C-5128-4643-A7B7-9BC56F8EF44A.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	889112

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing wrong with that! Looking good bro!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here