Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stunning! Beautiful!

Comment

Is there a recommended method for seasoning a bannetton? I have rice flour, but I'm afraid to use my new bannetons because the dough's I've been making are sticking to the tea towels I've been using to the point of ruining them.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Pequod it came with a liner but I'd prefer to use it naked.

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin I mist the banneton with water from a spray bottle then coat it with rice flour and let it dry completely when I get new bannetons.

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Rice flour for sure. Don’t worry about ruining a towel. I have them but don’t use them anyway. Rice flour works amazing.

Sourdough demi baguettes using fresh milled ancient grain Kamut harvested from a nearby Egyptian tomb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200518_111742.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	847943

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful! Just beautiful! 👍

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I am in VA and have never heard of an Egyptian tomb in VA...

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB - you're just not looking hard enough...

The crumb

Name:	IMG_20200518_114550.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	847964

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh dang! That’s what I’m talking about!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic!

I’m not buying the bit about the Egyptian tomb, though.

Comment

Not sourdough, but still made with a poolish pre-ferment. Forkish Harvest Wheat.
        Attached Files

Comment

Best bread I’ve done!! Long ferment sourdough. I had to boost it with some commercial yeast, but it was like a pinch. I needed the extra boost. I can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow!!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Wonderful Bread!

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, that's beautiful

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow

I made some soft dinner rolls today using a King Arthur recipe that included using the tangzhong method to improve the rolls. My wife took one bite and said delicious. She took another bite and said wonderful! Tangzhong is basically just making a roux with flour and a liquid.

Both the recipe I used for these rolls and KA's article about tangzhong are linked below:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...n-to-tangzhong

Name:	P_20200621_133546_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	321
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	867057

Name:	P_20200621_142529_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	867059

Name:	P_20200621_145118_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	306
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	867058

Comment

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. Never heard of this. Definitely checking it out.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Pequod - my wife doesn't eat much bread, but she ate another one for lunch today and said they were too good - it's hard to stop eating them.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Beautiful. 👍

Buying the Forkish book was one of the best things I've ever done. Never thought bread like this would come out of my kitchen. Now that I've made the overnight and saturday morning breads I'm going to try out the poolish and biga recipes, and then on to Levain. Ultimately I want to get a feel for working with dough that will enable me to go after what has heretofore been my white-whale - pizza.

Name:	newboule.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	867590

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Try the Harvest Wheat with poolish. I am pretty sure you will love it!

• Parkin
            Parkin commented
            Editing a comment
            I do sourdough all the time, but the one everybody always asks for is the Sat Morning Bread. Forkish knows what he's doing, for sure.

Pequod Thanks so much for mentioning Open Crumb Mastery! I'm only about 15% through it, but it's already answered/addressed a number of my questions and problems. Now I'm stuck with another "problem" though; I really like very sour breads, yet it seems that using a large percentage of sourdough starter, as I have been doing, likely contributes to poor gluten formation (verified by my recent results), so I'll need to read more and figure this one out. Anyhoo, I highly recommend the e-book to all bakers here--I do wish it was available in hard copy :«(. Thanks again!

RonB Thanks mucho to you for posting about the tangzhong method. Those rolls are on the schedule for Friday night; they'll accompany an Iberico pork loin roast

Comment

When I bake two loaves (normally I bake one) I have used a Lodge cast iron dutch oven and an All Clad dutch oven. I am through with the All Clad. I will bake them serially in the cast iron. First, it takes about 10 minutes more in the All Clad. It also does not turn out as well. From now on I am only using the cast iron.

You can see, two loaves, first from the All Clad.

Name:	20200703_173343.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	874409

Look how much better the cast iron did. Sorry it was cut first, but you can see the crust and how much
          better it is.

Name:	bread.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	874410

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Clearly the problem is that you need another CI dutch oven.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That second boule is amazing. I have the same issue, only one CI dutch oven and did my last one's serially. I think I'm going to buy another one because that's a long time to have the oven cranking at 475 in the summer.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice work! Can’t beat that cast iron!

Sourdough with fresh milled ancient grain Khorasan. Crikey, this is good.

Name:	FA748C27-F466-4554-91F5-BD0CB6D454C2.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	882567

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet! What was your formula?

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! What tomb did you get the flour from this time??😂

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy - 40% fresh milled Khorasan, 72% water, 2% salt, 15% starter.

Sourdough bread 😋 the one pic that doesn’t look done is when I first took the stainless steel bowl / dome off. I love baking bread! And better yet eating it!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            Great loaf! Nice ears.

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!!

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude you got skills to be able to get that shape on a pizza stone. Impressive.

Playing around with some stenciling. Snowflake! Why not?! Turned out pretty well!!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Really good looking boule! I like the Snowflake too!

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! Very pro!

Train track stenciling first my 4 year old! He was surprised!
          Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Great lookin' boule. Are you trying to convince your 4 YO to chew chew?

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB anything to motivate him to eat. I’m trying to convince him he needs to try new foods to weigh over 40 pounds. Right now, he’s at 38 pounds. He weighs himself everyday 🤣

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here