Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing lots of bakes. Finally remembered to take a pic today. This is a sourdough Pain de Campagne with fresh milled Red Fife and Rye. Batard in tube form. I like the longer, more uniform shape; makes for more more even slices.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B26FF5B2-FC3B-4A6D-A9EA-235EDC4F68C6.jpeg
Views:	561
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	796931

Name:	B24838FE-F02D-49FA-A695-0BC4562A37C0.jpeg
Views:	588
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	796930

Comment

I went a little bread crazy this weekend. Oatmeal molasses yesterday, today Forkish Harvest Wheat with poolish. Except I changed things up and made this a pure levain dough, no commercial yeast. I used 300 grams of starter in the poolish, and just counted the flour and water in the starter as part of the total amount. Really came out well!
    Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the big holes in that cut slice - that's what I want to achieve. I have sourdough three types proofing in fridge tonight - focaccia, regular white, and one with mix of bread flour, wheat, and rye. Baking tomorrow - hoping for some of those nice holes to slop some butter into.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice Thunder77 !

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 only tip I can give on photography, When you look at the photos, see all of the different items on the counter, and off to the left in the doorway. Make sure none of that is in your photo, it distracts the eyes, also, get rid of the cooling rack for the photo. Maybe even take photos of the bread in the cooking vessel that you used in stead. etc... but if you can see stuff in your photo that is not the bread, you have to ask, are those things I want in the photo as well...?

Today’s loaf.

Name:	1D4B5B06-E353-43B2-B60C-C8C5C98746B6.jpeg
Views:	515
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	808161

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Another great looking loaf.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Incan just hear that loaf crackling as it cools! 👍

Well, my scoring is improving, at least.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200229_205918-02.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	809897
    Last edited by Dewesq55; February 29, 2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good to me.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      If you had a lower score before I'd score that a 10.

Here's the crumb. It's by far my best loaf to date. Tastes delicious.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200301_003909-01.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	810009
    Last edited by Dewesq55; March 1, 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pequod - Thanks!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great - what I'm aiming for. So, I'm trying to figure out the definition of "crumb" - I'm thinking maybe it is the interior holes/bubbles.
      Dewesq55 how do you feed grass to your butter?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      treesmacker - Crust is easy. The crumb is the inner part of a loaf. It shouldn’t be full of giant holes but it should be spongy, moist, and flavorful. I’d say Dewesq55 got there.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; March 18, 2020, 05:32 PM.

Today’s loaf.

Name:	F4CA1F20-6ECA-4157-9B9B-D0D90FA8D76D.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	814495

Comment

No matter what's going on in the world, fresh baked bread makes everything look a little brighter. Sourdough with 60/40 white/whole flour.

I used my fireboard probe to monitor the oven temp for the first time, and was a little surprised. With the temp set to 500F, it preheated to 515 then started dropping (before I ever opened the door) down to 460. After I opened the door to put the loaf in, dropped to 420 and then climbed back up and help pretty steady in the 470-480 range. So the dutch oven is not just for trapping steam - it's gonna stabilize that temp for the loaf.

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	816785

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!!!

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Really nice loaf!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Great lookin' boule for sure!

Hey Richard Chrz - Here's avideo on shaping bread I thought you might enjoy:

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Fun video to watch. Thanks for posting.

Deciding what better time to up my bread baking game than when I'm stuck at home everyday. After two weeks my starter was ready and here is my first attempt at sourdough bread. I think I needed a bit more moisture and my "slashes" weren't quite deep enough, but otherwise I was pleased with the results.

Name:	Sourdough-1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	826994Click image for larger version

Name:	sourdough-2.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	826995

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice! Looking forward to seeing more from you!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Good lookin' boule.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, right out of the gate - that's looks amazing.

Man, I was jazzed to see this thread. Quarantine here has also been met with a lot of rain, so I've been baking bread. Here's a pic of my latest 40% Wheat.

Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks great!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is beautiful!

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Goals. Great loaf and great photo as well.

Here's the Monday morning loaves. I'm really thankful for the extra time to hone my skills lately. Have a great week everybody!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Love those blisters!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful job!

Cinnamon-Raisin Sourdough with 30% fresh milled hard red wheat. Dr. Fauci says I'm not allowed to share. You can drool if you want, as long as it stays within your mask...

Name:	00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200416092025588_COVER.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	832754

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked with ALL of the authorities and it's safe for you to send a loaf to southern MN. PM me ASAP and I'll get you my home address. Thanks.

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Skip - I’ll need a note from a doctor written on a roll of TP!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Why must you torture me like this?? 😜

Yesterday it was brioche buns. Not sourdough, but darn good. Recipe courtesy of the originator of this thread. May the 4th be with him.

Name:	DB1281EA-95F9-40CB-9A68-E84F4D03805A.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	841626

Name:	3B0F0788-20AF-44A8-A552-CC1DEDAA6DA7.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	841627
      Today is another loaf of sourdough cinnamon raisin. Crazy good bread for crazy times.

Name:	4463ACB2-BD49-4ED2-8901-9D59F7C2380A.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	841629

Name:	A5C53CEA-8C7A-495D-B0BF-04DE536DA8BE.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	841628

Comment

Hi!
      i am having trouble finding your brioche bun recipe on the AR site. There is something I do not understand about how to get to a recipe when in the PM Club. Would you be kind enough to point me to this recipe? It looks like they would be perfect for hamburgers! Thanks, Chuck W

Comment

Today’s loaf. Pain de Campagne with fresh milled heritage red fife wheat, spelt, and rye. I like the long batard for the higher crust to crumb ratio.

Name:	90B913F3-47E3-4096-A05E-D07202F6F778.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	843889

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here