Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting there. Another 6 months and I’ll have something I can present to guests.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D360FC-2942-42F3-8B12-9C993556EB76.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	703526

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm on my way over now..... :-D

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you can present those today. Beautiful. Bread can be such an expression of art!

Trying out my new Challenger Bread Pan. I think it worked.

Name:	IMG_20190805_071211.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	725465

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Any luck selling your "extra" Kamado?

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP - Not yet. Have de-listed from Craigslist due to too many violators of the "No Schmucks" clause. However, I have someone at the KK forum contemplating making an offer to buy both, which I just might do. Save me the hassle of moving them and then buy a new 32 on the other end.

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the post! That pan is incredible. I've been putting off buying hotel pans. Looks like there's a lot of room in there.

Name:	20190805_164347.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	725797

Rainy day here so 3 small loaves of King Arthur English Muffin Toasting Bread. A fun Bake today.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that the secret for baking bread? We should wait until it rains? 😀 Looks great Skip?

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great Skip!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are beautiful, Skip. Did you double the recipe?

TIA

George

Daughter is heading back to Virginia Tech today. This loaf is going with her as a reminder not to loaf [rimshot!].

Name:	A1068219-D063-462F-AF3F-D459DCFBE1BD.jpeg
Views:	531
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	730612

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Love VT. Just wish it didn't involve traveling on I-81!

• Brookie
      Brookie commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful loaf. What is your technique for such a beautiful ear? Thanks. Brookie

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Brookie - a sharp lame, 30-45 degree angle, a decisive cut.

They said it couldn’t be done. They were wrong. Wrong, I tells ya! This loaf is 100% fresh milled whole grain. You doubt? Proof!! [a little dough pun there...]

Milling 400g of heritage red fife wheat:

Name:	F3A74271-3394-4CC9-9BFA-1062CEC9E682.jpeg
Views:	535
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	743934

And another 200g of hard white wheat:

Name:	17C7C0CD-1C33-4389-A77B-EB87BE001889.jpeg
Views:	496
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	743935

A big bowl o’ fresh milled wheat. To this I will add 500g of water (83% hydration), salt, and about 30g of sourdough starter straight from the fridge.

Name:	B843BDF0-CAED-452A-B317-F5E1BC31EEA7.jpeg
Views:	518
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	743937
    The entire process takes around 30 hours, with three fermentation stages. The first bulk ferment (not shown) is about 10 hours with periodic stretch and folds. The next stage is in the fridge overnight. The third was this AM, with more stretch and folds as it came up to temp and "bulked up". After this, some special shaping with a lamination technique. Can’t say I nailed the shaping, but here it is in the final proof.

Name:	07557EBE-B5CB-4437-88E2-C1FE6ECB64A7.jpeg
Views:	492
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	743939

And then baked. Woof!

Name:	0FB2C5F0-1611-44D4-A691-5BC52ECB7BCC.jpeg
Views:	482
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	743936
    Another shot, this time posing with the mill:

Name:	753E9B79-0B95-4432-A193-6041F7C037D7.jpeg
Views:	499
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	743938

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome!! That is future purchase for me I feel.

Name:	20191006_111220.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	752583

A No Knead Boule. Overnight 15 Hour rise and baked in CI Dutch Oven.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      What's not to like about that??

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it!!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. This is my best CI loaf so far.

Just another fresh milled loaf following my standard formula. This time with 20% fresh milled heritage Turkey Red wheat and 10% fresh milled rye. Fresh milled == flavour.

Name:	0701A22C-E361-406D-9724-B56F2E84529E.jpeg
Views:	474
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	758048

Comment

Should have just written above comments as a post.

Breadtopia is a good source for grains, as is Amazon and several places. Hard part is most places want you to buy a minimum of 25 lbs of a single grain. I like having multiple varieties. For example,

Einkorn is incredibly flavorful, unlike modern wheat. It makes INCREDIBLE sourdough pancakes and waffles, and is also a flavor bomb as a guest grain (10% add in) in one of my standard loaves.

Turkey Red and Red Fife are heritage wheats which surpass standard hard red wheat (especially preground supermarket sawdust varieties) in every way.

Spelt...where has spelt been all my life. I LOVE spelt, but even a small amount of it changes the character of the dough quite a bit, making it highly extensible.

Fresh milled corn (try bloody butcher) makes for cornbread that actually tastes like...CORN! Polenta...oh heck yeah!

The list goes on. I find myself using 100% fresh milled flour for quick breads, pancakes, etc. And a blend for sourdough breads, using an artisan bread flour such as Giusto’s or Central Milling Artisan Baker’s Craft Plus.

Buying a mill is a no-brained in my opinion. I debated going down that rabbit hole for a few years, but now wish I’d done it sooner.

A proofer is another great investment.

Last edited by Pequod; October 19, 2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Basic bread. Some semolina in there. Just over 68% hydration.

5qt Dutch oven.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Fatastic! I would eat that!

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s not to like?

King Arthur back of the bag oatmeal bread. It’s a favorite in our house!
      Attached Files

Comment

Forkish field blend #1. First time making it, and second bread on the cloche. First successful loaf on the cloche. Looks a winner.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Have gotten into the second loaf now, and I think the cloche produced a thinner crust, particularly on the bottom. My bottom crust on the cast iron was a wee bit thicker, but not problematically thick.

Made a Thanksgiving sandwich with smoked turkey, stuffing, cranberry, sharp cheddar, and pan fried it for a wee bit. Very very tasty. This might be my favorite dough.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to try Filed Blend #1. I have made a number of loaves of Field Blend #2. That sounds like a really good sandwich!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          FB1 uses Light Rye, which makes for a better rise, a lighter bread, and a thinner crust than FB2. If you think about it, FB2 is a largely whole grain bread. FB1 is a largely white flour/rye bread.

Since I have a 3 lbs bag of light rye, it's FB1 and riffs for the foreseeable future.

Sourdough pull apart rolls in my Challenger Bread Pan

Name:	IMG_20191128_143153.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	774180

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Very Nice!. I like your pan too.

Pequod inspired this bread. This is a "1,2,3 Sourdough" loaf. It’s my take on pain de campagne. 70% bread flour, 20% whole wheat, and 10% rye by weight. 2% salt by weight. The hydration wound up being about 71%. Bulk fermented overnight with 4 folds.

It’s a little close-textured for sourdough. I was going for the "natural spit" ala Forkish, but I forgot to put the boule in upside down. 😬 I think that’s why it split partway around the circumference. Nevertheless, it has a nice nutty flavor, and good chew. This will stay in the inventory.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s my favorite blend. 20% whole wheat (or 10 whole wheat and 10 whole spelt) and 10% rye. Great loaf!

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I have to try spelt. I have heard good things about it.

Ok. You folks have finally inspired (shamed ) me into dusting off the DO and 12 qt. cambro. Sadly, my levain is no more (time to start a new one) so I resorted to baking an old favorite: Ken Forkish’s White Bread with Poolish. It turned out pretty good if I do say so:

Name:	7CB0ED8E-123E-40A1-8FDA-E21ABF64FA71.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	790422

Name:	5FD562BA-1D8D-4ACF-84B1-212905854200.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	790423

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Whew! I thought for a moment that you were really slipping on us! 😬

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 - Oh, I’m slipping alright. Sliding, stumbling, and mumbling on occasion, too. I’m also showing definite signs of rust ... but my C.I. is still clean. 😎

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          And your bread still looks great!

Itt's been some time since I have made any bread, so today I scratched that itch. I made some challah that was good, but not great and some Forkish's white bread with poolish. Instead of making two large boules, I made four batards hoping they would be closer to a good size for just my wife and I. I shoulda made eight... But they were very good - I do really like Forkish's bread formulas.

Name:	P_20200116_142447[1].jpg
Views:	286
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	792287

Name:	P_20200116_174136[1].jpg
Views:	301
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	792288

Name:	P_20200116_175250[1].jpg
Views:	312
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	792289

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice! I bet your house smelled heavenly.

Kathryn

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc - yes it surely did smell heavenly....

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here