Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A loaf of Challah my wife asked me to bake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180909_145509[1].jpg
Views:	232
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	563846

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Gee wiz that looks good 😍

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks really good. I love bread, but I have mostly cut it from my diet. I get plenty of carbs from other sources.

I have been experimenting with fresh milled flour. Here I am milling organic Hard Red Spring Wheat.

Name:	IMG_20180907_074148.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	566313

I turned that into a loaf of 50% fresh milled whole wheat sourdough at 84% hydration.

Name:	IMG_20180915_114806.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	566314

The crumb!

Name:	IMG_20180915_115434.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	566315
    Fantastic flavor. Just spent my lunchtime eating that with a cherry tomato bruschetta.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy - I believe it was around $250. A bit cheaper than a Komo Classic, but with comparable performance.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a stunning loaf of bread. Pretty sure that’s the first time in my life I’ve described bread as "stunning," but there is no better word!

I want this bread in my life.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Call me Ishmael!

This made me laugh. We can all repurpose our bread lame razors and just shave! I had no idea!

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Clearly, you're too young to remember that those double-edged razor blades were about the only option other than a straight razor

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy Yeah, we are good. Flooding in some places in charlotte, but our house was fine. It gets worse the farther east you go.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan I’m a 34 year old spring chicken!

VFresh milled spelt sourdough bread. This is 30% fresh milled spelt, 30% fresh milled high extraction hard red wheat, and 40% Giusto’s Artisan Bread Flour. High extraction (85%) was achieved using a #40 Mesh sifter. 85% hydration.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	21B1A4A6-BAF3-40AC-917B-47D8BE74E314.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	569383
    Click image for larger version  Name:	39B73EF6-445D-4100-B769-BA1A65CFF1BC.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.14 MB ID:	569385
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A7C0F944-CD11-4D22-8BD1-9474BA0285E4.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	569384
    Last edited by Pequod; September 22, 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      100% extraction means the entire milled grain - endosperm, bran, and germ - is kept. High extraction is around 85%, meaning the larger bits of bran are sifted out using a sieve (I use a 40 mesh sieve), resulting in about 85% of the grain weight being in the flour, with the other 15% being bran. It still has endosperm, bran, and germ, but only the finer bits...

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      White flour contains only the endosperm, with the bran and germ being sifted out with even a finer sieve. It is about 70% extraction. If you don’t have a mill, you can approximate high extraction flour with a 50-50 blend of whole wheat and white flour.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the explanation!

This week’s loaf is Trevor J. Wilson’s Champlain Sourdough, which is mostly white bread flour (I used Giusto’s Artisan) with a touch of fresh milled spelt and fresh milled rye. Trevor has an ebook called "Open Crumb Mastery" in which he contends that open crumb is 80% fermentation and dough handling and 20% other factors. Whilst most amateurs are fixated on hydration, Trevor says they’re looking in the wrong place. This loaf was only 70% hydration. I think I believe Trevor.

Name:	6A288B7F-1C32-4FE1-9DA1-8DBF34840994.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	572927

Name:	E9ABDA5A-4582-4558-85DD-A209A7E53CAE.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	572924

Name:	44A708E3-A60F-42E9-B7DC-2BDDC081B820.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	572926
    Attached Files

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Another winner!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome!!!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe that the fermentation is where it happens as well. The hydration produces a moister crumb, I think, but that open is more about fermentation and proofing.

I’d have watched several of his videos, and he looks like he knows what he is doing. I believe it’s about flour quality and dough handling. I find that most doughs above 70 % hydration are a right pain in the rear to handle, and I don’t have the patience for them.

Comment

It’s autumn, so where there is bread there must be apple butter.

Name:	DBECF32C-8F2C-470F-B86E-D450263BB9A4.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	581854

Picked up a new toy. A Brod and Taylor foldup proofer. Maintains a humid environment at a precise temp. Here it is proofing the dough for some English Muffins.

Name:	B8A3D70C-593D-49B8-8270-5F92AC21A244.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	581855
      And today I used it to proof a loaf of sourdough with a bit o’ freshly milled whole spelt and rye. Read em and weep.

Name:	5B5B1FCA-896F-4C40-8484-1C14F6D146D4.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	581853

Name:	12933694-49EC-47C6-BEA8-A259403A66A2.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	581852

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin' great.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice indeed!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Man! yer killing me here!!

Name:	20181028_162500.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	584991

I tried some new dough today--"Crazy Dough" off the internet. It has Plain Yogurt, Eggs, Baking Powder, and Milk. Made with AP Flour and Whole Wheat. It appears to be a good multipurpose dough. We'll have to see.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome Skip!

Name:	BDD75013-7CBD-43A1-A356-486526C40546.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	595720 Forkish Overnight Country Brown with my new starter and a few tweaks to process. Single loaf, I believe this has tripled in volume, more or less.

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet!

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks Good! AND Fun!

The bread practically exploded at the folding seams. So much loose flour from the brotform, and the seeds did not adhere all that well. But high hopes for the bread itself.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks gorgeous!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Bit of excess flour on the outside but it was an amazing bread. I love Overnight Country Brown.

Today’s loaf was a combo of wheat, spelt and rye.

Name:	0DF2497B-200F-4984-B77E-1BB04F30C552.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	604607
      And a closeup of the ear...just because.

Name:	771C226E-C218-4FAA-B598-FEBF75D32954.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	604608

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        scottranda - Ha! Literally!

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Unintended pun! Subconscious puns are sublime-inal!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        You are pumping out some great bread!

Loaves of Field Blend 2 out of Forkish for my MIL and a friend from another forum. Trying to keep my bread game going while keeping my bread intake low.

Next weekend, doing a walnut or maybe a walnut raisin for my brother and my parents. Then doing a couple loaves of warm spot white mixed with the bacon bread for X-mas.

Have to ask recipients for pictures of crumb, tho.
      Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Gosh, that's beautiful. I never met a bread I didn't like.

Kathryn

I’ve been using AR for 5+ years, and joined the Pit this summer. I never though I’d be geeking out about bread here, but...I AM!!!

As a teen my family had a bread machine, but that’s the closest I’ve ever been to making bread at home.

What I see here is amazing. I’m honestly not a big bread eater, but this thread makes me want to start a regular baking regime.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, I cut my bread eating WAY back this year, which cut my bread making way back, but I'm sending out a lot of loaves as gifts this holiday season. Keeping me fresh, and only consuming breads for Thanksgiving, Crassmas and New Years.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack I’m going to dig through this whole thread when I have a little extra time. No doubt there is a ton of wisdom here!

RonB I’m a homebrewer, so I’ve got the scales ready to go. Between measuring grain to a fraction of a pound, and hops to a fraction of an ounce, I’ve been training for this!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Santamarina - switch to grams - it's more precise. (28.35 g per oz)

You guys have inspired me to learn this - here is my second weekend of trying this thing you call sourdough out

Name:	IMG_1479.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	605433Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	605434 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	605435 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	605436 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        How long was the proof?

• bwurts
        bwurts commented
        Editing a comment
        Final proof was about 2-1/2 hours
        Last edited by bwurts; December 11, 2018, 02:01 PM.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe shorter next time for smaller holes.

Name:	6D2728F0-620A-44F5-8DBB-CDD31026A5C4.png
Views:	238
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	607051
      My bread got to it’s recipient today and she sent a picture of the sliced bread. I think I got exactly what I wanted from it. yhis is Forkish Field Blend 2.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here