Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great!

Comment

How long is too long for bulk fermentation?

I have a preferment dough rising. It's going on about 6 hours. The preferment was extremely bubbly when I mixed in rest of ingredients. Ambient temp is 72 degrees.

Should I ever fold dough during bulk fermentation?

Comment

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
        How long is too long for bulk fermentation?

I have a preferment dough rising. It's going on about 6 hours. The preferment was extremely bubbly when I mixed in rest of ingredients. Ambient temp is 72 degrees.

Should I ever fold dough during bulk fermentation?
        How long is too long? Keep it bulk fermenting until it increases in mass to 1.5 times it original mass. The only potential problem with slow or delayed fermentation is that the yeast/starter will consume all of the natural sugar in the flour. That will produce a blond loaf. No sugar, no browning. I think you're fine. Wait it out. 72Β° is a great ambient temperature for making bread.

Don't do any folding during bulk fermentation because you will deflate the gas that has been produced. Then you can't tell how much your dough has increased in mass.
        Last edited by Breadhead; November 23, 2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thanksgiving bread for my grandkids nanny.

The nanny is entertaining her family on thanksgiving and asked if I would make her a loaf of bread.

I decided to make her a high hydration French bread boule.

Formula:
          1000g bread flour
          750g water
          20g salt
          A pinch of instant yeast.

Preferment:
          500g bread flour
          500g water
          A pinch of instant yeast.
          I mixed it together to a shaggy mass and fermented it at room temperature for 16 hours.

Final dough:
          500g bread flour
          250g water
          All of the preferment
          20g salt added after a 30 minute autolyse.

I added the remaining ingredients, except for the salt. I mixed the dough using Ken Forkish's pinching technique and then let it autolyse for 30 minutes. Then I added the salt and started the folding process. I gave this dough 4 fold sessions 20 minutes apart. Then I preshaped it and let it rest before doing my final shaping. After final shaping I put it in my Lenin lined banneton for final delayed fermentation in the refrigerator overnight.

This morning I took it out of the fridge to final proof and preheated my indoor convection oven and baking stone to 450Β°.

I didn't bother with a mixing bowl to trap the steam because this is 75% hydration dough and there will be plenty of steam in the oven. I did the poke test to make sure it was ready to bake. I scored the dough which is not easy on 75% hydration dough but it worked ok. Into the oven it went.

I got a nice rise on this loaf and a nice hard crust. I baked for color not temperature to harden the crust more.

No crumb picture because it won't be sliced until tomorrow.

I used a little more than 1/2 of this dough for the nanny's loaf and I have the other half still in my fridge in another banneton that I'm going to bake in my BGE soon.πŸ‘
          Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Very perceptive MBMorgan πŸ‘Œ That's true. Most people are used to the color they see in the grocery store. Seeing dark bread most think you burnt it. If you're not sitting with them to explain how that gives the bread added flavor they may not even taste it.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            A Lenin lined banneton? Ewwwww! πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great looking loaf, though! πŸ‘

jgjeske1 commented
          November 23rd, 2016, 04:35 PM
          A Lenin lined banneton? Ewwwww! πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

The lined bannetons are easier to get your dough out of. Just turn it over and lift up lightly. The linen liner stays with the dough at first but pulls off nicely if you've put some rice flour in it before putting your dough in it.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I get it. I have three of them. The funny part is that you spelled it "Lenin" instead of "linen" πŸ˜‚

I need an idea/formula for some fairly quick dinner rolls for tomorrow, please.

Comment

Originally posted by jgjeske1 View Post
            I need an idea/formula for some fairly quick dinner rolls for tomorrow, please.
            French bread dinner rolls... the normal hydration for French bread is 60%. I increased the hydration to 66% to get a softer crumb. I'm making some as we speak. They just went in the fridge to delay the fermentation overnight. I'll bake them in the morning.

1000g bread flour
            660g water - anything from 60% to 70% hydration is good. 60% hydration dough is easier to shape than 70% hydration dough.
            20g salt
            7g instant or dried yeast

I would do a preferment of 1/2 of the flour with an equal weight of water first, no yeast or salt yet.

Then add the rest of your water after proofing your yeast in it first. Then add the rest of the flour. Mix to a shaggy mass and autolyse for 30 minutes. Then add your salt and mix it in. Mix until you get a good window pane test and then drop it on your work bench and do a few stretch and folds. Then weigh out 100 gram portions and do your preshaping. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes and then do your final shaping. Preheat your oven and bake your rolls in about 1 hour. I bake those rolls in my BGE at 450Β°.

That will make about 15/16 dinner rolls.

Take pictures.πŸ‘

Comment

70% hydration sourdough with a preferment from last night. I used my KJ for the first time (to bake bread). It has a better crust than what the oven turns out. My scoring is terrible but I don't have a bread lame, and my knife just doesn't like to cut through 70% hydration easily.

I'm baking my second loaf (1/2 dough) tomorrow (1000g total dough). It's in the fridge. Can't wait to try the delayed final proofing. It will be 36 hours in the making!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice loaf.πŸ‘ Scoring... the angle of your knife is important. You're trying to create a flap not a crevice. Put you lame, knife, razor blade at a 35Β° angle and move it fast. Don't drag it slowly. Quick and decisive works best.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Your Kamado is a bread baking machine! It has much more airflow than your kitchen oven does. Plus the temperature does not fluctuation nearly as much as your oven. Leave your top vent totally off and control temp with your bottom vent. That makes your cooker like a brick oven.πŸ‘
                Last edited by Breadhead; November 24, 2016, 01:13 AM.

That looks great! How about a picture of the crumb? They have very inexpensive bread lames on amazon. I also have found that a very sharp serrated knife does a good job. Also, a clean, unused utility knife blade is very sharp!

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! More pics tomorrow of the crumb. It's stored away for now.

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Also, bread lame is coming for Christmas!

Breadhead you frequently say to brush off excess flour after final proofing. Often, on YouTube, I see people leave the flour on the dough, and it looks arts-y after baking. Is there a reason why I should always brush off the excess flour? Are they using bread flour, and you're using rice flour?

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                "Is there a reason why I should always brush off the excess flour?"

No... it's a preference thing. Personally I like my loaves to shine and I want to see the pretty blisters. Plus... I don't like the taste of raw baked flour. The taste and texture of that flour doesn't please my taste buds.

My crumb for loaf 1. Second loaf on counter proofing now.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                πŸ™€ that's a great crumb. Good job Scott. Put that slice in the toaster then slather it with that butter and put some raspberry jam on it.😎

Trying a new approach to generating steam today. This was originally posted as an adaptation of a method suggested in Bouchon Bakery by the same genius who gave us the Kamado Smoke Pot. It starts with a 16" CI skillet filled with two spools of steel chain -- about 30 lbs of iron and steel. I put that on the lower rack of my KK then let it heat soak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30178.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	243981

When I'm ready to bake, I toss in 350g of ice and close down the cap of the KK to barely open. It did this for the next ten minutes:

Video of KK steam oven

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1829.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.86 MB ID:	243982

The finished product:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1832.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	243980

Comment

[QUOTE=Pequod;n243979]Trying a new approach to generating steam today. This was originally posted as an adaptation of a method suggested in Bouchon Bakery by the same genius who gave us the Kamado Smoke Pot. It starts with a 16" CI skillet filled with two spools of steel chain -- about 30 lbs of iron and steel. I put that on the lower rack of my KK then let it heat soak.

That looks like it will work.πŸ‘ Using the correct amount of ice is the key. You want steam for the first half of the baking time. Then you want no steam while you're trying to brown and harden the crust.

Your loaf looks great. You might want to change the angle of your lame a little so that the ears on you loaf open up a little more. If your lame is straight up and down you're creating a crevice and your ear will spread right and left - there will be little to no ear. If you score at a 35Β° angle you are creating a flap and that flap will spring up on one side and create a pretty ear.

i love your KK for baking bread.πŸ‘Œ
                Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday's science experiment was brioche. I wanted large rolls ... and I got my wish. Using the Breadhead/Chef Jacob formula and technique, I scaled the dough into 160 g portions (with about 120 g left over). I recently ordered a new super non-stick mini round cake pan (USA Pans) with six 4.25" wells ... perfectly sized buns for when I go back to making 5 oz. burgers. I then overloaded the six wells (and a ramekin for the leftover portion) for baking. The results speak for themselves ... crust was thin, crumb was perfect, and flavor was simply awesome. That's the good news ... the bad news is that my wife just decided that I'll be making brioche often in the future.

I plan to re-purpose a few of those huge rolls as hamburger buns this afternoon by removing the center third of each roll so that the top and bottom are more bun-like.

Name:	Brioche 20161127 - 1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	244603

Name:	Brioche 20161127 - 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	244604

Name:	Brioche 20161127 - 4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	244605

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘... great looking rolls my friend. Here's other good ideas with that same exact dough. Put some dough in a regular bread pan and bake a loaf of bread. It is my all time favorite toast bread. Then shape the dough into big donuts and deep fry them. Oh my... they're awesome donuts.

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MBMorgan - you're hired!

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice. Someday, I'll get around to this project.

Pequod why the steel chains? Interesting way! Just curious as to why the steel chains?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here