Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that you guys know how to develop your dough you might want to start making other shapes of bread using the same dough. This guys video on shaping and scoring is excellent I think.

Last edited by Breadhead; September 16, 2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      We must think alike Breadhead - that's the same video I posted a while back.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool... It is a really good video. His system for shaping is easy and effective.

I must ask: Why de-gas? I don't remember doing that in any of my steps making the SD (no mention of it in Chef Jacob's SD videos either). But, the video link posted just now (and a few comments recently) talk about degassing. Do I need to worry about degassing with my basic SD boule?

Comment

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
      I must ask: Why de-gas? I don't remember doing that in any of my steps making the SD (no mention of it in Chef Jacob's SD videos either). But, the video link posted just now (and a few comments recently) talk about degassing. Do I need to worry about degassing with my basic SD boule?
      Notice both videos I posted that showed them degassing the dough was right before final shaping. Also notice they were not to agressive with the degassing. The thought is to deflate the large gas pockets that can develop during the bulk fermentation process. They can get larger during final proofing and the oven spring process, which will cause the big mouse holes in the crumb.

Normally... Those large gas pockets can and will be deflated during the stretch and fold process in Chef Jacob's method. However it is something you need to be aware of and check on during that process.

After final shaping you have the final proofing/final rise step that gives your dough time to re-inflate so a degassing/punch down is not going to ruin your dough. The poke test will tell you when your dough has re-inflated enough to bake it.

Comment

2nd shot at Breadheads 66% hydration dough from lesson 1.
        Brought my laptop and notes to the kitchen and referred to Chef Jacob's video frequently during construction and baking. Overall, a much smoother and enjoyable process than the first attempt. Like everything else, I anticipate it will just keep getting better & better with time and experience. Can't thank everyone on this forum enough for your time, knowledge, and willingness to share your experiences!!! Here's some photos of my latest...

After 20 minutes at 500 degrees
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1st 20 min.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	221678

Finished at 425 degrees and 25 minutes. 205 degrees f IT

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	221679

What's inside

Name:	crumb.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	221680

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Congratulations CarlP3 πŸ‘ That's a beautiful loaf of sourdough bread.πŸ‘Œ. You're correct every attempt gets easier and you gain confidence on every loaf too. After another loaf or 2 you won't need the video all of that will just come instinctually. Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures.πŸ‘

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree - a great looking loaf.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fine!

Here's my second attempt. Getting better! Someday I'll try putting it on my Kamado and not my indoor oven. But, the indoor oven is extremely convenient.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Winner, winner chicken dinner!😳 Everything about that loaf looks like it was done by a pro.πŸ‘ The fact that you did this on your 2nd attempt astounds me. My second loaf was best used as a door stop.😏 Good scoring, Good rise, great color and a beautiful crumb. Jackpot!

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx gentlemen! As always, I appreciate your help... especially as many questions I ask!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Scott... Ask all the questions you want. The other guys are becoming experienced enough to answer your questions too. We're ALL here to help.πŸ‘Œ

"Is the Forkish book on bread worth it? How many recipes do they have in there?"

scottranda - sorry for the delayed response. For some reason, I missed your question. The Forkish book is absolutely the best. It's more of a technique book but it does have 19 bread recipes and a bunch of pizza recipes. It complements Chef Jacob's info extremely well and I highly recommend it. Another really good one is "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart. Tons of recipes (he calls them formulas) and shaping techniques. I have both of them now in Kindle format.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Bakers use the term formula when speaking to other bakers. They use the term recipe when they are speaking or writing to/for beginning bread bakers. If you learn the Baker's Percentage formula... You can create your own formulas. Once you perfect the techniques you can make any formula.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't own any bread making books. Everything I've learned I've learned online. Recipes/formulas are a dime a dozen online. ALL of the famous bread bakers have massive amounts of technique information online and in video form. Bread baking is about technique, technique, technique.πŸ‘

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Forkish has the 19 bread formulae but offers a lot of advice on where to go next in creating your own formulae from there. Formula is really the correct word, as the technique is nearly identical from bread to bread.

I have been cooking with my SS bowl on for 20 min. Then I take it off and cook to color. But, within 5 min, it's at 205-208. I want a darker color (more crust). Should I pull it even though it's at 208? Or, can I take it higher to get more crunch on my crust?

Comment

scottranda - Have you calibrated your oven? That's awful fast for a loaf to bake. Where is your shelf placed in the oven - low, middle, or high. Too low in the oven will slow browning, but that doesn't really sound like your problem - it's more like it's baking too fast. Another option would be to remove the ss bowl sooner to see how that works. You could also raise the oven temp a bit.

And you want more recipes:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ scroll to the bottom of the page for bread, ww, and sourdough

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ click on recipes

An Obsessive’s Quest for Professional Quality Baked Goods from a Home Kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/user/NorthwestSourdough over 100 bread videos - mostly sourdough

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/ lots of sourdough recipes

Anyway, you might want to make sure you can get your current recipe worked out before trying something different.
          Last edited by RonB; September 17, 2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Ron... Getting to 205/208Β° in 25 minutes, somethings not right. Usually my 66Β° hydration loaves take at least 30 minutes. I cook to color and sometimes I'll leave them in for 35 minutes. I've had IT as high as 210Β° and my crumb was fine. I really like Northwestsourdough.com.πŸ‘Œ
            Last edited by Breadhead; September 17, 2016, 10:00 PM.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead - I agree about Northwest Sourdough - I don't know how I forgot them. I even get their emails...

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Ron... That's where I learned the mixing bowl trick for steam.πŸ‘

RonB commented
          September 17th, 2016, 09:34 PM
          Just remember that your oven's temp will swing 20 - 30 degrees, so I try to set it so the swing's average is where you have the temp set.

That's why I prefer baking my bread in my BGE... Much less fluctuation in temperature.πŸ‘

Comment

You can convert ANY bread, pizza, waffle, pancake recipe/formula you find online to a sourdough recipe. You need to understand the bakers percentage formula first though.

Here's a video of how to make the conversion and if you scroll down another video about the bakers percentage.πŸ‘

https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-v...cipe-sourdough

Comment

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              Great video. Explains that little detail I've been wondering about. Thanks!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm glad you liked it Pequod ... Knowing the Bakers percentage and understanding that sourdough is nothing but yeast, really sets you free! Once you fully understand those elements... You are no longer a follower of recipes, you create your own recipes/formulas. That's why I always say bread baking is technique, technique, technique. The science is easy.

Freezing and dethawing tips for a baked loaf?

Comment

• chudzikb
              chudzikb commented
              Editing a comment
              That's just crazy talk! I can't make a loaf last a day in my house, and that is without giving some to friends that clamor for some of the goodness. Share and you will have no issues with freezing bread, there will be none to freeze. And as a bonus, your friends will love you.

If you slice the loaf before freezing, you can take a slice or two out at a time. When I want thaw a whole loaf, I take it out of the freezer and leave it in the bag until thawed. Then I warm it slightly in the microwave and then put it in a hot oven for two or three minutes to recrisp the crust. If you don't microwave it first, it may get too brown in the oven before it is hot throughout.

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you wrap it to prep for freezing?

scottranda - for short term, I don't think it matters. If for more than a week or two, I freeze the loaf and then vacuum seal it. If you vacuum seal a loaf, be careful to just barely evacuate all the air. If you go any further, you can still collapse the loaf.

Comment

Freezing bread?... I personally have never done it.πŸ™ˆ I bake way more bread than I could possibly eat.

My motivation for baking bread is more about the science, technique and creating a beautiful loaf of bread.πŸ‘Œ

No matter how good you become at the craft... There is always somebody that cooks a better loaf. That... Pisses my off.😑

Real Artisan bread bakers, that do it as a hobby, search for people to give it to that appreciate a really great loaf of bread.😎

Creating a loaf of bread... Using a preferment and the delayed fermentation process, final shaping it to perfection, then perfectly scoring it and baking it perfectly with a robust rise that produces beautiful ears, is a work of art.πŸ‘Œ

Handing that loaf of bread to a real lover of Artisan bread is the ultimate reward.😎

If i get a taste... All the better.

Comment

Ok so here's this week's science experiment. Same Ken Forkish white bread with Poolish pre-ferment recipe but scored this time instead of baking seam side up. This high hydration loaf continues to be difficult (but not impossible) to handle; taste is off the charts; oven spring is pretty much right what it should be; crumb is spot on; and the final result is visually pretty ok. This time I didn't fiddle with exploring the limits of over or under proofing ... instead just went right for the sweet spot. I am quite pleased with the result ... but I think I'll go back to baking seam side up ... if only for the more rustic aesthetic.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	223868

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	223869

c'mon Spinaker ... join the party!

Comment

• Ray
                  Ray commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBMorgan what is the hydration % in this Ken Forkish recipe?

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ray - It's 75% ... pretty hard to handle. There's no way I could use slap and fold without covering myself and the kitchen with dough. Instead, I use a bench bucket the same way Forkish does. FWIW, he really likes high hydration doughs.

• Ray
                  Ray commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBMorgan Wow, that's a high hydration. My last attempt was a 72% level that I backed down to about 70%. Even then it was a challenge

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here