Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one great looking loaf MBMorgan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	206318 W.A. RonB -Thanks! And here's a pic of the inner workings...

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        The inner workings in the bread community is referred to as the crumb.😎

The crumb looks very tasty too MBMorgan .

Comment

Woohoo...πŸ˜† You pulled it off MBMorgan . Great job!πŸ‘ I love the color of your crust and your crumb is open and airy. It really amazes me how you guys have all produced great loaves on your very first attempt. I cooked door stops and hockey pucks when I first started.

How did it taste? What did your wife and kids think?

Comment

Thanks, BH! The wife loved it (our son is in deepest darkest Fairfax, VA). The flavor was awesome. The recipe was a riff on your basic sourdough (post #3) in which I used 1/2 each bread flour and whole wheat. Very tangy ... who'd a'thunk Colorado native yeast would give S.F. sourdough a run for its money? No adjustments needed for altitude (6300 ft. ) except time. Bulk ferment completed in 2.5 hrs and proofing in 1.5. Many thanks to you (and Chef Jacob) for info, advice, and inspiration!

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
            Thanks, BH! The wife loved it (our son is in deepest darkest Fairfax, VA). The flavor was awesome. The recipe was a riff on your basic sourdough (post #3) in which I used 1/2 each bread flour and whole wheat. Very tangy ... who'd a'thunk Colorado native yeast would give S.F. sourdough a run for its money? No adjustments needed for altitude (6300 ft. ) except time. Bulk ferment completed in 2.5 hrs and proofing in 1.5. Many thanks to you (and Chef Jacob) for info, advice, and inspiration!
            It's makes me feel as good as you do. I love guiding guys on their bread journey. Chef Jacob did it for me and I'm just paying it forward.

Now that you're a Breadhead you have something to do while your long low and slow cooks are doing their thing.πŸ‘ There's nothing like fresh bread to make your BBQ feast better.πŸ‘Œ

The tanginess probably came from keeping your starter in the fridge for a week while you were out of town. If you leave it on your counter and feed it daily it will become more mild, less tang.

If you're going to use 50% WW flour I would suggest you increase your hydration rate from 66% to at least 70%. WW flour absorbs more water than bread flour.
            Last edited by Breadhead; August 8, 2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hey that looks great! I am surprised you got such good results using that much wheat flour. I experimented with varying percentages, never got the results I was looking for. Wife wanted more wheat, kids said, not so much.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Once you get over 20% WW flour in your dough you need to increase the hydration rate. WW absorbs more water than bread flour does.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                If you sub some orange juice for some of the water, it will tone down the bitterness of the whole wheat. Check out King Arthur Flour's recipes for whole wheat bread, (there are many), for an idea how much oj to use.

Thanks, Gents! The dough (as Breadhead would have predicted) was a bit under-hydrated initially. It wanted to pull apart rather than stretch during the initial 5 minutes or so of the slap and fold phase. I was able to increase hydration a bit through the judicious application of wet hands during the remaining 15 minutes of slapping and folding ... by which time, the gluten structure had developed nicely and I was able to proceed more or less normally through the remainder of the process.

I think that for the next loaf, I'll either go BF only (66% hyd.) or dial back the WW to a 60/40% mix of BF/WW (hyd. 70%) and see if that doesn't help some ... and just like grilling & BBQ'ing, I'll get to eat the mistakes!

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                If your going to use 40% WW flour you might want to go up to 72% hydration. 70% hydration for 30% WW would be fine.

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead - I'll give that a try ... Thanks.

Today was born to my house: Alain Levain

Views:	167
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	208486

per Ken Forkish, 500g 90* water, 500g whole wheat flour.

Comment

Finally had time to make a loaf of bread from my fancy new starter. No attempts at scoring due to the dough sticking a bit to my floured towel. Came out great nonetheless. Greatly enjoyed by all.
                Breadhead - what would you suggest to avoid sticking to the towel (other than more flour)? Would a banneton help?

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	208504

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	208503

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got a nice natural splitting on top anyway. No need to score unless you want a less rustic look.

• Pequod
                  Pequod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! That was my thought as well. Scoring definitely optional. More focused on practicing my folds and tension pulls. Loved the result. Looking forward to more!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great looking loaf.

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
                4 week old Winnie (the Poolish) sends his best regards ...

Comment

[QUOTE=Pequod;n208502]Finally had time to make a loaf of bread from my fancy new starter. No attempts at scoring due to the dough sticking a bit to my floured towel. Came out great nonetheless. Greatly enjoyed by all.
                  Breadhead - what would you suggest to avoid sticking to the towel (other than more flour)? Would a banneton help?

That's a beautiful loaf of sourdough bread my friend. I particularly love the color of the crust. I like my bread a little darker than what you find in most grocery stores. Your loaf got a really nice rise from the oven spring and a very open and airy crumb. That tells me you did a really good job of your final shaping and had a lot of tension on your boule.πŸ‘

There's nothing more disappointing than having your dough stick to your final proofing container.😑 We all had that happen before. Yes buy a banneton on Amazon they're not that expensive. Then use Rice flour in your banneton and sprinkle some on your dough before putting in your banneton for final proofing. That will solve that problem for sure.

Actually you got lucky on how your loaf opened up on the top. That luck was probably cause by the tight final shaping you did on your boule before putting it in your final proofing container. Scoring is NOT optional! You score/dock your sourdough loaves for a purpose. The purpose is to control where your loaf is going to open. Every loaf is going to open during the oven spring process. The gases and moisture has to have an escape route. If not scored the escape route will be determined by the weakest part of your final shaping of your boule. If you didn't seal the bottom seam tightly your loaf would have opened there. In baking circles that's called a blow out and it's ugly.Ò˜¹ï¸

Pat at yourself on the back. That really is an exceptional loaf of sourdough bread. Great job!

Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A lame makes things easier. Watch some YouTube videos on how to score/dock bread dough. It's not as easy as it looks. The angle of your lame is important. You don't need lots of rice flour really you just use a couple of ounces per loaf. That's why I buy it in small bags.

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why rice flour? Inquiring minds ...

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MBMorgan ... I line my banneton with rice flour and sprinkle some on the dough right before putting it in the banneton for final proofing. A wet dough is much less likely to stick to rice flour than AP or BF. There's nothing more disappointing than having your dough stick to your banneton.😑
                    Last edited by Breadhead; August 17, 2016, 12:40 PM.

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n208486[/ATTACH]

Nice... If I were you I would use 50% bread flour and 50% Whole Wheat flour after you get your starter going, unless your desire is to make 100% Whole Wheat sourdough bread. I'm thinking Mr Forkish is thinking using the WW to build the starter gives it more natural yeast from the get go. The bread flour will be better when you want to start using the starter to bake with. Just my .02.

The 90Β° water is used to speed up the process. That's pretty smart.πŸ‘

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Smart move... Pick a mentor and stick with him. There's lots of methods to build a starter. Find one that works for you can stick with it. It will be great to see your bread journey develop. Doing your first loaf of sourdough bread is like your first brisket cook... You will never forget it.πŸ‘

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gonna do a non-ferment bread on Monday just to get a feel for the techniques. Will keep you posted.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Smart... I'd crank out a few loaves of same day bread. Learning how to work the dough is more important than great tasting bread while you're learning.πŸ‘

Day 2 feeding. Discard ~75%, add 500g 90* water, 500g WW flour. Leave uncovered 1-2 hours, then cover.

Views:	173
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	208833 Click image for larger version

Views:	179
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	208834

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right on schedule. Should hit 2L mark sometime tonight.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Up to about 1.75 L at 9 PM. Smell is less floury, more leathery, more boozy. Alain progresses nicely.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Boozy = alcohol. It's actually the excrement of the yeast. If to much of it is allowed to develop in your starter it's called hootch. The word "hootch" when referring to drinking alcohol actually comes from back in the day of gold miners drinking the hootch from their sourdough starter to get high.πŸ˜†

Wow. Just wow. I didn't get to read every post on this thread but you can bet I will.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here