Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took "Rosa" out of the fridge today. No float...Can it be used and just add a little yeast?

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      You can do that or you can just make yeast bread. When Rosa has been in the fridge she will always need to be dumped and fed beforing it will be active enough to rise your dough. If it's been in the fridge for a week, it will take 2 or 3 feedings.

No float with yeast cooling down...We will see??? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	199653

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice loaves. Great color.👍 Those look really great.

7th day starter update: Winnie started showing signs of (burping) life yesterday and today, even more so. On Tuesday (9th day), I'll dump 100g then feed 200g in preparation for Winnie spending a long, hungry week in the fridge while I'm away. I'll start CPR when I get back and we'll see where we stand.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything is going exactly as it should. You're going to be just fine. When you return from the week long trip I bet you have a very healthy & happy culture after your 2nd or 3rd dump and feed - that will pass the float test.👍

Nice looking loaves Fine Swine . Here's a short video buy Cyril Hitz on how to score bread you might enjoy.

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Guess I have to get a razor? Or maybe at least sharpen my knives...

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes... I would recommend you buy a real bread lame. Look for one that you mount an old fashion double edge razor blade on. Then buy some Japanese extra thin razor blades.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have found that a good, sharp serrated knife does a pretty good job. But I like the homemade lame idea!

Fine Swine - you don't have to buy a lame unless you want to. I made one using a bamboo skewer and a razor blade:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y6002.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	200478

Name:	A07Y5999.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	200476

Name:	A07Y6003.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	200477

Name:	A07Y6000.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	200480

I even made my own cover from a piece of note paper.

Name:	A07Y6005.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	200479
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RonB; July 26, 2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it...Thanks👍

RonB is correct. I also used one like his. I used a long wooden coffee stir stick that I mounted the double edge blade on at first. Then I bought the lame in the picture because I thought it gave me more control over the blade.
    Attached Files

Comment

jgjeske1 commented
      July 26th, 2016, 07:24 PM
      I have found that a good, sharp serrated knife does a pretty good job. But I like the homemade lame idea!

I personally think that scoring/docking your loaf is VERY difficult to learn. It also has great, great rewards. You can turn a really great tasting loaf of bread into a beautiful work of art if you learn to score it properly. A professional lame doesn't cost very much and it gives you the best chance to create beauty.😎
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 26, 2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        I have some old straight razors that work well, too. The idea to use a bamboo skewer, chop stick, or dowel with a razor blade is pure genius.

@breadhead

Do I need to use bottled water?

How many days until my starter passes the float test? Could it be "over" or passed the float test? My starter is about 2.5 weeks old. Mostly at room temp. But had to put in fridge for a few days. I've been diligent it dump and feed.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        scottranda ...

I've always used tap water without any problems.

It normally takes me about 14 days to build a starter. I would keep dumping and feeding it rather than starting over. Did you get bubbles after day 2 or 3 when you first started it?

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I got bubbles then, and I get bubbles now. And now, it smells really good. Originally, it smelleded like wet socks

I tried the float test last night. Sunk like titanic.

Breadhead

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        scottranda - if you are worried about the chlorine in your water, just let an open container of tap water sit on your counter for a day or two and the chlorine will evaporate.

Lame? F that, in a pinch I use the utility knife from my tool box in the garage! I have a lame, but, usually forget to bring it to the grill, and time is short when trying to do everything at once​.

Yes on the bottled water, don't want the chlorine killing your bacteria that you have worked so hard to bring to life.

Comment

scottranda ... After every feeding your culture has a life cycle. There is a peak time to use it. After it's been fed it will increase in mass to about double. Then once it's past its maximum strength it will start collapsing on its self, loses the Co2 and gasses to allow it to float.

My guess is you starter is ready to use... You just tried the float test too late. I bet if you had tried the float test an hour or two earlier it would have floated.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know. Thx!

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          I just tested it (mid-day), and half of it floated. So, I'm gunna find my sweet spot times. I'm learning here!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          scottranda ... I'm thinking that if you give your starter 1 more hour the whole spoonful will float. Just so you know your starter I would give it the float test every hour so you know when it reaches it peak and when it starts declining.

I think the last thing absolutely necessary for me to pull this off is a stainless steel mixing bowl. What size (quarts) should I get?

Comment

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
          I think the last thing absolutely necessary for me to pull this off is a stainless steel mixing bowl. What size (quarts) should I get?
          Scott... For mixing my dough I prefer to use Pyrex. A clear glass bowl that measures 11.5" in diameter and 4.5" high. Not sure what the quart capacity is. I use that bowl as a cover for my dough when its autolysing/resting. I like to be able to see what's happening to the dough as I walk by. However a SS Bowl works just fine.
          Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            When I bake it. What size should the bowl be when it's upside down to trap the steam?

scottranda ... The one I've been using for years is 12" in diameter and 4.5" in depth. My pizza stone is 14" in diameter. I have to make sure I place my SS mixing bowl toward the very back of the pizza stone though when placing the dough in and covering it with the bowl. Making sure I keep the seal over the dough the bowl provides. The reason for that is your Tru-Tel thermometer has a 4" stem on it and will push your SS steal bowl back if you mount it to far forward.
          Attached Files

Comment

Gotcha! Good advice! Thx!

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool... Can't wait to see your first loaf.

My starter is finally ready. I didn't have much time, plus I needed something for lunch for the week, so I made sourdough sandwich bread. I used the Stella culinary recipe and switched in 100 grams of my starter. It came out good. My scoring needs more work, I think I am trying to use it more like a light saber than a knife; all slash and no cut. I would have liked maybe an inch or two more rise, but I think I may just need to use a 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 pan instead of 9x5.
            Far and away the best sandwich bread I've ever had. I'm planning to work on my boule. And find more recipes to incorporate my starter into. (See you on the pizza dough thread :-) )
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here